Detuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnat

It's almost 4 years to the day since I picked up my Savage and I have an odd question. Can I slow it down? A lot.

Since he was 2 my son has enjoyed sitting in my lap and working the steering while I manage the throttle. I just pulled it out for the first time this year and we found that at 6 his hands are finally big enough that he can use the controller on his own (though it is still too big for him for long periods and the throttle is a stretch for his fingers).

While he is doing really well with a light touch to keep it slow, every now and then he jerks it and there have been some close calls. So obviously this is currently way too much car for him without hyper observation (which takes a lot of the enjoyment away from both sides).

I've already used the CastleLink to detune the throttle response and overall power, but with my dual 2S 35C setup this thing is still crazy fast. Is there anything else I can do to try to tame this monster so he can use it without the constant "be gentle" sound track?

I'm guessing the answer is probably no and if so, is there anything in the off road flux options from HPI that could be more manageable for a kid to learn with? I know these are top end high speed cars and not meant for the beginner, but what this Savage has withstood from me bashing around has impressed me (not a single part replaced in 4 years and I've done zilch to maintain it!). The months of lost time that I went through as a kid having to wait to replace stripped gears/shafts or broken parts (Tamiya and Kyosho) is something I'd like to try to limit for him.

Finally, are there replacement controllers I can get that would fit his hands better?

Thanks

What remote are you using? Stock, unfortunately, I believe does not have this but there are remotes out there that have a Throttle Dual Rate setting. You can dial down the throttle substantially with that.

yeah should be able to turn the rates down for throttle matey I do this for my nephew and then use 1x 3s pack so its a bit more controllable for him .
maybe be better off soldering a battery end connector and running one 3s

maybe be better off soldering a battery end connector and running one 3s
Ah. Didn't know this was an option! That might be the cheapest/easiest solution. Thanks.

why not just shoogoo a small block as a stop for the trigger to the back of the radio, when he learns control then you can remove it easily.....

why not just shoogoo a small block as a stop for the trigger to the back of the radio, when he learns control then you can remove it easily.....
Something along those lines did occur to me, but it needs to still allow me to exercise the full fun abilities when I play with it ;)

So it would need to be easily attachable and removable, but not so easily that it falls off accidentally (not worried about him taking such a thing off if I tell him not to) or worse, jams the throttle on...

I was thinking along the lines of some type of "C" clip that I could slide on which would limit the travel, but looking at the remote now there is no space between the top of the trigger and body of the remote.

Maybe some type of foam behind and in front of the trigger that will add enough resistance that it prevents the sudden jerks and makes high throttle harder for him, but still light enough that I can get the majority of travel...

Ah. Didn't know this was an option! That might be the cheapest/easiest solution. Thanks.
If your ESC can run on 2S then you just need to connect a shorted battery connector to one of the esc battery conectors. Your kid can run on 2S and you can run on 4S by just swaping the shorted connector for a 2S battery.
As for a recommended truck, my daughter started driving a brushed Wheely King when she was 7. I also have fun with it. You will have to upgrade to a metal tranny and 550 size motor if you run on 3S:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back