Deciding on gearing 5.9 Xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys,

I am new to the site and new to the RC Car/truck world. I have flown planes for over 6 yrs and wanted to venture into the rc car world a little on windy days. I have zero knowledge when it comes to nitro trucks. I picked me up a XL 5.9 RTR and only had for a month. I got passed the tuning which my previous knowledge with glow really helped with that!! Now I am wanting to do a little gearing on the truck but I am a little confused on ordering. My questions are
How do I know what spur gear will work?
Are the spur gears for certain trucks or motors?
Is there anything I should look for beside the actual tooth count ie....certain shaft sizes?
I have done a lot of research but cant really find these things. I am looking for a 48/16 setup which seems to work pretty good and not very aggressive. When I search the tooth and find a gear it list specific to .21 size trucks and it throws me off. Any help will be greatly appreciated for a new guy to the hobbie!!!!!

A lot of the stuff you come accross has been around since the savage 21, so that's how they are listed.

HPI did deviate a couple times on spurs, once on an SS or X, they tried a dual pad slipper that failed miserably and in recent years with the higher horsepower rigs (and octane), then went straight to a steel spur. All the spurs except for the dual pad spur are interchangeable if they come with pads. I know the octane has a differently molded pad, but otherwise seems the same.

Thanks a lot. Do you think I should upgrade shows? I am just going to be running around the yard and maybe racing a little with a friend on a track he built. Trying to not get to deep into this but I have a "get the best" mentality and the fastest.LOL

Thanks a lot. Do you think I should upgrade shows? I am just going to be running around the yard and maybe racing a little with a friend on a track he built. Trying to not get to deep into this but I have a "get the best" mentality and the fastest.LOL

I am assuming "shows" means shocks ? as with anything there is always room for improvement, if it has the plastic big bore shocks they are adequate for most conditions... I just put on a nice set of the Integy shock bodies using all the big bore guts on my rig, I LOVE the look of them and they seem to also perform well in the type terrain I usually bash on..... you can go nuts or leave it basically stock and still have great bashing times...

I think the XL comes with alloy shoes, so you should be good there (assuming you mean shoes). They may need a little deburring around the edges and roughing up/cleaning the inside of the bell a bit.

It comes with 52/16, so 48/16 will give you more speed. Not sure why they would gear it so low with a 3-speed. Then again... 1st gear may be the same as the 2-speed with a taller 3rd gear, not sure how that maths out.

I ran 47/17 on my X last summer and it was still wheelie happy. I run probably smaller/lighter tires though and have an LRP28 engine in it with a two speed. I increased it to 47/18 to see how that does next season. Granted, 47/17 was pretty fast and like driving a scalded dog at WOT.

I run 4 of the plastic big bores on mine with white hellfire springs for the longer spring. I think I increased the oil weight 5 or 10 over stock, been too long, but it does really well and can get 5-6 feet of air under it all day long without blinking. I don't go too high, but I do jump as high as I am tall quite often.

I am assuming "shows" means shocks ? as with anything there is always room for improvement, if it has the plastic big bore shocks they are adequate for most conditions... I just put on a nice set of the Integy shock bodies using all the big bore guts on my rig, I LOVE the look of them and they seem to also perform well in the type terrain I usually bash on..... you can go nuts or leave it basically stock and still have great bashing times...

Not to jack another guys thread, but do the slider part that separates/joins the two springs slide nicely on the shock body or did you have to grind them out some? I notice mine bind a bit on the stock big bores. I sanded them out some when installed them, but it takes very little dirt/grime to make them bind again.

so far they seem to work as intended, but with dirt in there I can see the need to clean them to keep them free and moving...

Latest posts

Members online

Back