De- anodizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used greased lighting safe enough to handle with bare hands as long as you rinse your hands off after using.

yup...easy off works fine...and I've gotten it on my hands MANY times with the worst reaction being reddened skin (although different people may react differently)...probably cheaper than caustic soda as well...

besides? what's wrong with purple?!?!? :stickspank:

yup...easy off works fine...and I've gotten it on my hands MANY times with the worst reaction being reddened skin (although different people may react differently)...probably cheaper than caustic soda as well...

besides? what's wrong with purple?!?!? :stickspank:
I just checked something out, the stuff I used to use isn't the same as whats out now. Easy off was pretty much forced to make a safer version of their oven cleaner and the nasty stuff is no more. :(

I got some on my wrist (back in the early 90's when it was basicly lye) and it burned like paint stripper lol. Man that stuff hurt.

I just checked something out, the stuff I used to use isn't the same as whats out now. Easy off was pretty much forced to make a safer version of their oven cleaner and the nasty stuff is no more. :(

I got some on my wrist (back in the early 90's when it was basicly lye) and it burned like paint stripper lol. Man that stuff hurt.

I must be thicker skinned than most, as the red skin was back in '93 or so...plus I used to use the stuff as the night porter at Burger King back in the mid-80's, and got it on my hands all the time...

I must be thicker skinned than most, as the red skin was back in '93 or so...plus I used to use the stuff as the night porter at Burger King back in the mid-80's, and got it on my hands all the time...

Must be. I tend to get skin irritations easy anyway. I used to like expirimenting with stuff to see what all it would eat through. The stirofoam cup was funny lol.

I have used the Easy Off in the yellow can, it says "heavy duty". It worked great on the HPI stock aluminum items, but then, some other manufacturers anodizing is a little thicker and more difficult. But the yellow can easy off should work. Will be doing that to the hpi conversion kit I will be installing soon.

If you have access to a sandblaster, then blast the heck out of everything and it gives a rough, silvery, textured finish that looks real good in my opinion. Then you don't have to deal with all the nasty chemicals/fumes that goes along with using the oven cleaner. I put my X 4.6 RTR on a purple anodizing-free program and I love it. No more purple!!!

easy de-anodizing

I had some blue alloy wheels on a purple car Yuk, So i took em work and put them in an industrial saltbath for couple mins then out they came perfectly clean everwhere no prob...

I just did my lower plates & braces with easy off heavy duty ,took it off in minutes , rinsed gave it a light sand , painted them with pro ind. rustoleum flat black . came out great !
SL.

Well guys I just did this on my E-Savy parts. Here is a pict of the stuff I used.
De-anodizing002.jpg

I picked it up at Walmart for around $4.

Here is what the parts looked like after about 30 seconds in about a quart or water and sprinkling a little over a table spoon of the Drain stuff over the top of the parts.

I then removed the parts by dumping them into the sink and running water over them to rinse the Drain o off them.

De-anodizing001.jpg

I dryer and as you can see in the Pict there is a scotch bright pad I will use to buff them a little bit.

This was so easy. I never thought the anodizing would come off so easy.

A saturated solution of sodium hydroxide in water removes HPI anodizing in less than 3 seconds. You can find it in solid crystal form at most hardware stores. If you can't find it in pure form, Drano is ~60% sodium hydroxide and works almost as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Back