Damper Upgrade???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeroy2000652

Hi, just bent one of my shock shafts on my Sav 4.6 ss big block.
Can anyone tell me a worthy shock upgrade with beefier shock shafts please?

Thanks alot.

Leeroy

or if you don't want to spend $100 (LOL!!!) buy some CEN Genesis shocks...they'll ride a bit lower (unless you get something like Nova shock towers) but you'll be VERY hard pressed to bend them...

If you have a VISE an you rap the shock shaft with thick enough cardboard, you secure the shaft in the VISE and make little bends that will get it straight again. Just make sure that you don't scratch, nick, or damage the polished surface of the shaft with the teeth of the VISE. Take your time with it and make little bends till you've gotten it straighten out. I've done this many times with consistant success. you can get them so straight, that they appear perfect. Just roll them on a flat surface to check for warp spots and bend them by hand. It may take awhile to get the feel for it. Good Luck.

Personally I just put the shaft on a clean cement floor and tap with a hammer. Then I put he shaft in my drill press or a hand drill works too. I coat some 2000 grit sand paper with wd40. Turn on the drill and pull the paper up and down the shaft. Remove it from the press and flip it over the do the other end. I then clean it with acetone to remove everything on it. I then use this liquid metal polish I have that adds a protective coating. I put some on a rag and pull that against the shaft and flip as before. I forgot to mention in both instances do not do the threads. That should go without saying. Once you get the polish you are looking for reassemble shocks and have fun. They will be loads smoother that stock. Just remember when useing the sand paper, you are polishing not grinding. Gentle pressure is all that is neede. If you leave it to long you can remove to much material and make them leak. I have done this to all my shocks and hinge pins and they are all smooth as silk and no leaks for 1.5 years.

I'm a little leary on the hammer and cement approach but, think the polishing idea is a good one. I'll have to try that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Back