Custom Wing Mount (lots of pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

Why do you want a wing for your savage? If you ask me.. the question is why Don't you want a wing? I can tell you from experience that you WILL feel a wing on the track or even in your backyard when you hit the throttle. You'll notice a much more stable truck on the top of the powerband and through the air. The wing is going to act like a big air dam on the back of your truck. Very similar to that of the guys running dirt oval with RC. Why is a B-Mod body on a buggy faster than an offroad buggy body on the track? Control! And if your a basher a solid wing is a great roll bar that will help keep stuff off the head of your engine.

My wing mount is made with a flat aluminum plate hand cut and drilled. Your probably wondering... how is a flat plate going to fit on my rear shock tower? It's not. Your going to have to play with your dremel or file for a bit here to make a smooth surface on your rear shock tower.

123008_173001.jpg
123008_173100.jpg

012009_160700.jpg

Now that you have that set your going to need to cut out a plate. I shaped mine exactly like the tower. The wing mount I chose was the factory mount for the Mugen MBX6. I chose this mount because its mounting holes are straight ahead, making it easy to mount on a plate.

Here is the wing mount with a himoto wing as well as the plate I cut out and my first template.
012009_160600.jpg

Mount the wing stay to the plate.
012009_161300.jpg

Mount it to the vehicle and your done!
012009_162300.jpg
012009_162301.jpg

Now you should have a very stable rear wing and mount to help your truck get more traction and more control :).

Here's just a few pics with various bodies.

011909_175300.jpg
011909_175400.jpg

011909_185700.jpg
011909_185701.jpg

Enjoy :)

Update:

UPDATE:

I ran three screws with nuts on the end of them through my shock tower up near the top to equalize the load on the wing and mount in the event of a direct landing.

012009_191200.jpg

012009_191201.jpg

looks like a great idea and its always nice to see people inventing there own way of doing things!! reps sent....

is that a cb spacer on the center nut?

great writeup.

Bingo. I use CB spacers on alot of things. Such as the bottom screw for my dirt shields, and the spacer underneath my body posts for my hellfire tank mount. The reason is because my LHS guy accidently ordered like 20 packages of them and had nobody to give them to since I only wanted 1 package he gave me ALL of them for the price of 1 so i have ALOT of clutch bell spacers lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back