Custom wheelie Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE PIPER

TIME TO PAY THE PIPER
Hey guys just thought I'd share this custom wheelie set I came across while meeting a guy in stoneycreek just by my house. I took some of his ideas and used his as a tempplate so I cant take all the credit.

Lets start: Here in this picture is all the gear you will need to get started.
2 used upper control arms from any savage, 1 length of 5/32 music wire non threaded(get that at any LHS), 12X5/32 DUBRO wheel collars, Dubro airplain wheels part #175T, 5/32 drill bit, hex screwdriver. Oh almost forgot your old hpi wheelie bar your going to need ends off that to mount it but you might have your own idea.

100_1135.jpg

now take the 5/32 drill bit and drill the wheels and the front of the control arms use the holes there just make them bigger

100_1154.jpg

100_1136.jpg

Take the music wire and cut two 3'' rods and one 4 1/4 rod.
100_1147.jpg

100_1155.jpg

Drill the control arm 1 3/4 measuring from the tip I didnt do that for some reason..:duh:
100_1148.jpg

Insert the 3'' rod to the top & middle of the control arm with the wheel collars
The middle rod will suppot the wheelie bar better. I'll show u later.
100_1159.jpg

100_1163.jpg

insert the 4 1/4 rod to the bottom with the collars

100_1160.jpg

Take your wheels and insert them on the 4 1/4 rod with the collars at the ends.

100_1161.jpg

100_1162.jpg

Thats the brunt of it for now I'll have to leave this for now I need to get to the bank tonight next I'll show you the way I mounted mine its still rough but it looks like it might work. You might have your own idea. :beer: Cheers!

ok piper, you've got my attention..... cant wait to see it mounted up & a vid on how it works:jamout:

there is so much more to add to this I really have to mod the rear skid plate to secure the wheelie. I just changed my rear end to posi and now I'm going to need that support. Also I hate that dancing affect with the hpi wheelie bar this should fix that. As for a video I have a mid tank to finish and new skid plates to put on it might take me a bit for a video. I think this should work.:beer:cheers!

OK I got some more figured out. when you have everything drilled and put to gether you should have something like this.
100_1164.jpg

Now for the hpi mounts I came up with this idea to mount the lower part of the wheelie
100_1132.jpg

100_1153.jpg

I cut them just over 2 1/4''and there going back where they use to be.

this picture shows the way I mounted the old Hpi wheelie mounts with the 5/32 rod and don't for get your wheel collars.

100_1167.jpg

This is where it get tricky, I took off the bumper and had to drill holes on the side where the bumper screws go you have to be straight remember I drilled holes in the middle of the control arm? that where it going.

100_1169.jpg

100_1170.jpg

Now the wheelie bar is places in all mounts, the hpi mount really sits nice and doesn't need to be mounted at all you will need more wheel collars for the top mount I forgot to add 2 inbetween the mounts:duh:

100_1173.jpg

Now the problems start to happen... I tryed to put back the bumper and no go.. the control arms are to high up. sooo I came up with this. It works..
100_1175.jpg

It just some bushings that raised the bumper and it worked!!
100_1179.jpg

100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

Here are the last pics for now I need a savage skid plate with the old savage 25 bumper mounts.. the ones that mount to the side of the bulk heads. My Rc solution shock towers won't support the 4.6 bumper mounts
Cheers for now:beer:
100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

100_1178.jpg

yours is alot cleaner looking man, I did mine in about 5 min and it cost me 1.25 for the wheeles

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

I should have kept it more basic! this will run me about 25$.. I can find the vid you posted. I want to see what i'm in for :beer:cheers

Here is the last of it.. So I went to my LHS and grabed the skid plate and the bumper pad I needed, this is the part that was holding me back because of m RC Solution shock tower.
100_1182.jpg

100_1181.jpg

One thing I did diffrent I had to do was grind down the top of the skid plate to make the control arm sit better you can see it in this picture
100_1190.jpg

So again on the skid plate insert the 3'' rod with collars on top and bottom this pervents the arms from moving on impact..
100_1184.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1189.jpg

These last few pics show the finished product. The bumper is put back on with the bushing raising the bumper about a half inch. The bumper mount are there and it makes everything nice and tight. As for vids my savy is striped down for my mid tank mod. I have posi comming in the rear end a centre skid plate and the big bores are on order plus the snow down here is bad so as soon as all the mods and snow calm down I'll shoot the vids. Thanks everyone for the reply's use this as a temp plate or copy it.:beer:cheers!
100_1191.jpg

100_1192.jpg

100_1193.jpg

100_1194.jpg

ya there pretty cool they have shock protecters (bumpers) so u don't bend you shaft. the only flaw if u have the X style you cant used the bumper mount. I had to change to the 25 style. :beer:Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

Back