cup joint problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrington81

Hi everyone! I have a stock Savage x 4.6 rtr with a rear cup joint problem part number (86083). When i push the truck manually with everything off the rear drive shaft clicks like it's getting hung up on the cup joint. I tried replacing the cup joint twice with new ones but the drive shaft will eventaully where a groove in the cup joint and will start clicking again. I hope i'm making sense here? Has anyone had this problem before...is there a stronger part out there that i can try? Thanks for the help!

is it the cup joint on the knuckle where the tire bolts to or is it the cup/outdrive from the rear diff? and whats getting wore out? the cup itself? need lil more info.. then ill be able to help you ..not quite understanding exactly..

+ 1 on this need more info. I see the word clicking and I think ring and pinion

hi there. It's the cup/outdrive on the diff that connects to the rear drive shaft. The drive shaft that is connected to the brake. What i'm talking about is the drive shaft or (dog bone) wheres a groove in the cup/outdrive wich is normal i think. When i push the car even at full throttle while the car is off the drive shaft will get hung up on the cup/drive and will start clicking also making it harder to push. I hope it makes some sense. Thanks for the help.

I think i might of said the wrong one. It's the drive cup differental joint that's connected to the rear diff that drives the driveshaft connected to the brakes. Thanks.

On the other side of the cup you are referring to is connected to a pinion gear which goes through the bulkhead. That pinion turns a ring gear connected to the diff which is inside the bulkhead. If you are saying that you hear clicking and the drive train seems to get hung up, those are the classic symptoms of stripped or broken pinion gear.

The groove in the drive cup, I hate to say it, is normal wear and tear. You should be ok, but i would recommend you getting another cup preferably a HD cup.

hi there. I'll check the bevel gear for sure and see if that's the problem. U mentioned the HD cup is that the shiny finish one? (part number 96277) or is there another one out there that u can recommened....also Will the hd cup not where as much as the original? Thanks for the help.

In my experience, the HD cups have the same hardness as the standard black cups. They will wear just as fast. The best way to deal with cup wear is to run a dry lubricant in the cups. Graphite or Molybdenum Disulfide work well. LCG TVPs also significantly reduce center cup wear, as the driveshafts and cups are placed along the same axis, which keeps the drive pins from moving relative to the cups.

Latest posts

Members online

Back