counting head shim factory goof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.LO's SAVAGE X

well, here is a new one on me! WOW! Well here s my story, Bought my son a new savage x f 4.6 last spring, broke it in and started tuning, always chugged till top of first gear then took off and also would chug until just before high speed needle kicked in,,, Fought this all summer long and fall! well I started to retune it this last weekend due to nice weather, determined to make my sons truck something he wanted to play with, instead of saying don't want it, it wont run right! My son is my side kick going everywhere together, so have been putting it off because I didn't want to mess with it, frustration mostly. Well I went and purchased 3 different plugs, cold, medium, hot........No help. Carb was taken out, recleaned, checked seals, and resealed..... Nope . Well,,,, went to check top of piston to check for signs of problems. What I found! 6 darn shims in the head!!!!! Well there s a new one on me! Back down to 3 where she runs sweet!

This is why I tear down every :ercm: I get new or not you just never know until you see it with your own :eyes:

Glad ya got it figured out and running like it is supposed to.. :D

LOL, yeah, I always make sure his stuff is better than mine, whats worse, having a son throw a fit all day long cause truck wont run right,,, or having a truck that don't run right!!!!!!! BOTH, LOL

AAA I have to say both lol. Mine just says OK I'm done and finds something to get into while I try to fix "his" truck lol.

Funny thing.
Head was removed from the engine in my shelf Queen yesterday. Losi 454. it only had 1 headbutton shim

yeah, manufacturers vary on shims. hpi f 4.6 s come with around 3 to 4, I always remove one with no problems, I should say I make sure they have 3 shims only

nova had 3, but one was copper so i must have put it in there thinking it needed more. book recomented .060, so I put 2 new .030 shims in there and called it good.
LRP had 2 and i left that the way it was. added one to the losi
I dunno what OS30 or the picco have yet

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back