Converting to BL/LiPo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarkill

I'm not ready to do it yet, but I'm tossing this idea out there see what your ideas are.

I've never really been into electric and started reading a little about 2 weeks ago.

My understandings are that Kv is how many rpm you will be getting out of the motor.
S rating is how many cells are in the battery

What will I need to convert a nitro savage to a BL setup.

Motor
Esc
Lipos
Charger/Balancer
Battery boxes
Stronger diffs
Stronger trans gears(?)
Motor mount, etc, etc

What cost am I looking at to get a decent setup that will last longer than a nitro motor?

What are you running in terms of motors, escs, and batteries?

This might not happen, I just want a taste of something else if it is in my price range.

-Thanks

My understandings are that Kv is how many rpm you will be getting out of the motor.

kV (kilovolt or 1/1000th of a volt) is a rating that tells you how many rpm the motor will according to pack voltage. kV x V= rpm. so a flux on 6s lipos gonna go like this: 2200kV x 22.2 = 48,840 rpm

S rating is how many cells are in the battery
kinda. S=series & running in series combines the voltage of each cell. so if your running 1 x 3s LiPo pack then you are runnin 3 cells in series (each cell is 3.7v so a 3s pack is 11.1v).

If you run 2 x 3s lipos on a savage flux you now have 6s (6cells in series) so 6 x 3.7v= 22.2v
What will I need to convert a nitro savage to a BL setup.

Motor ------------------------ appx $150.00
Esc--------------------------- appx $150.00
Lipos------------------------- appx $160.00-250.00
Charger/Balancer------------- appx $100.00-450.00
Battery boxes----------------- appx $20.00-30.00
Stronger diffs----------------- appx $50.00
Stronger trans gears(?)........ cost about $8.00 to convert a nitro
Motor mount, etc, etc--------- appx $30.00 or so on the bay

you also need flux tvps & motor plate

What cost am I looking at to get a decent setup that will last longer than a nitro motor?

cant compare an electric motor's life expectancy to nitro, they are not alike in any way.

plan to spend around $300.00 for a motor/esc that will haul a 13-14# savage.

What are you running in terms of motors, escs, and batteries?

the hpi tork/blur is made by castle creations (even has their name on the esc wires).

you've seen the vids of the power it can deliver & it is the easiest set up to drop into your savage & is pre-wired to run 2 lipos in series.

smc's are prolly the best pack for price on the market & the most used/tested/proven. stay away from the cheapies at all costs.

This might not happen, I just want a taste of something else if it is in my price range.

good luck knarl. in the end it might be cheaper to buy a stocker flux. Electric is cool & different; i would never convert my nitro tho. ever.

if you convert your savage to brushless, your gonna love it!! just turn it on and go, my electric savage is almost uncontrollable
the down side is, its kinda of expensive to convert, my suggestion is, you look at your budget and maybe consider just buying a savage flux, lol
but heres mine...
castle creations mamba monster max 2200kv , (2200- 2650 is really all you need)
Kershaw Designs motor mount..really THE only place to go, dan is an awesome guy....you can also go to rcmonster, mike is cool too
i put flux battery boxes on my stock savage 21 tvps, just drill new holes
HPi savage flux diffs
HPI savage flux tranny..or do the single gear conversion to your stock tranny as i did, works great and saves you cash on a new tranny
i use maxamps batteries, but you can go with pretty much any LiPo, most are really punchy
the rest of my drivetrain is stock, no problems yet, my converted savage is a sand pit only truck, and boy theres nothing like ripping up a sand dune with a 4 foot rooster tail behind you!
oops, i forgot to say that i run the stock flux gear setup, i think its 18/44?

ask questions, you'll get good answers here
anyways, if you convert, you'll be happy with it

http://kershawdesigns.com/

go to motor mount, savage....its the two on the bottom, for 700 series motors
ill post a pic later, cant get to the workshop right now

dan is the owner and hes an awesome guy, the absolute best cust. service around, you ask him a questions, you get an answer within minutes

some people bash him, but there just jealous

Converting might not be the way to go. When I get back to work and get some more spending money I'll start looking for a flux.

i don't have a flux but a good base to start off with is an xl from and rear assembly because of the already upgraded drivetrain components that it contains

thats what i used, i swapped the front and rear ends for those off of an xl and added flux diffs inside and i use a xl chassis

thats what i used, i swapped the front and rear ends for those off of an xl and added flux diffs inside and i use a xl chassis

Oh sorry dude if you posted that before i didnt see it. so what made you wanna keep the stock 21 tvp's.

Members online

Back