Constantly stripping wheel hex's........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonM

Hi, hoping someone can help here..

I've got a flux HP with a few mods, 5mm thick extended chassis, Integy hub carriers (the rest plastic fantastic), tried every ESC bla bla bla... I like to run both 4S and 6S and before I mention my issue (I guess the title sorta gives it away), I know the reason as to why it happens, just wondering whether there's a miracle brand wheel manufacturer that I've never heard of..

Yes, on 6S you can almost guarantee I'll strip the hex off the wheel, I'm currently running a 17mm hex, I've tried the 24mm hex and Baja wheels, yeah great the hex stays intact but then I always blow the diff gears (not enough puff in the Baja wheels and they're way to heavy), I've tried the 23mm hex with normal 1/8 truck wheels and tyres but then I stuff the pin on the hex by almost stripping it and turning the pin 180 degrees into the aluminium.. Then 17's are generally fine on the pin but I've stripped two sets of brand new wheels on the very first runs, yes on 6s but doesn't any manufacturer consider this..?

As with diff gears and the drivetrain in general, I'm pretty good at not being under load on landing or doing crazy donuts with the inside wheel spinning like crazy etc... I just like the hard acceleration and speed on 6S but just can't afford the wheels!! I've got about 6 or 7 sets of truck wheels and tyres and pretty much all of them have either 1 or 2 of the wheels completely stripped.. So what's the go?? Is there a solution I can buy??? Or does it just involve driving like miss daisy from here on??

No I haven't, I'm using the Integy 17mm conversion kit which I don't think is great so I'll definitely try the HPI branded set. I know 6S will cause damage and I've got most of the set up right so it doesn't strip gears etc.. but there's nothing to set up with the hex, it is what it is, put a wheel on and hope for the best! Thanks for your reply..

Not sure if I read it on here or savage central, but someone had a post for this problem. It involved drilling into the face of the hex nut and the inside of the wheel where the hex goes so that the pin went into the wheel and the hex. Will look see if I can find it.

If you go to you tube and look up savage junkys, how to prepair your savage for extreme bashing chapter 5/7 at the 5;07 mark it starts to show you how to fix your stripped wheels very easy and inexpensively. It works on wheels that are alreay stripped out to.

Latest posts

Members online

Back