Computer Question for LJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

i have a Dell (couple years old)
-running windows XP Home Edition Version 2 Service Pack #3
-AMD Sempron Processor LE 3100 2.31Ghz, 1.93GB of RAM.
That minor sound card upgrade really blew away my previous sound.
Is it worth it to upgrade the processor or RAM?
If yes, can you point out what id need from tigerdirect?

nothing too complicated tho, i know very little about computers.
snoopdogg

ps, i have wireless N and we use the computer for web surfing and music.

its pretty fast. but, like everyone else, I'm always wanting faster :bolt:

ok just to let you know frddy to upgrasde the cpu you will probally have to change the motherboard out to upgrade the cpu in it but if u can get me a model number off the case that will help alot

well here we go this should make you faster

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Processor 3.0GHz
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4170042&CatId=2328

Patriot PGS24G6400ELK Gamer Series 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Desktop Memory Upgrade - 800MHz, 2x2048MB, 5-5-5-12
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6078346&CatId=3412

so total is 159.99 shipped plus you got a 20 dollar mail in rebate
thats for 2 day shoipping also or just save up and start of with a new machine

is this just take out the old and plug in the new? does it come with drivers (or whatever is needed)

ps how much you charge me to outfit a couple computers at my work like this?

you tell me what we need with links?

i had that problem once when i used fire fox. i use google chrome now & wont be going back but lemme google that one and see how i fixed it. :thinking:

lj do i need to do anything other than unplug/replug?

any settings or anything?

nope no need to change anything it will auto dectect it all just be very careful when swapping the cpu out and make sure u unplug the pc for 5 mins before you start to change the stuff and tuch the metal on the case after its been shut down to take out the static electricity

nope no need to change anything it will auto dectect it all just be very careful when swapping the cpu out and make sure u unplug the pc for 5 mins before you start to change the stuff and tuch the metal on the case after its been shut down to take out the static electricity

kool man, got it ;)

Also wouldn't hurt to get an anti-static wrist strap as an extra precaution. Leroy, you forgot to tell him to look for BIOS updates for the board too.

While you have the heat sink and fan off of your processor I would clean off anything you find on the bottom side of it. Usually its a pad type thing they put on to help the heat transfer from your processor to the heat sink.

After its cleaned off put you some thermal paste on there when you are reinstalling it.

Here's a link to some thermal paste. Any one of them should suit your needs fine.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?page=1&Nav=|c:503|&Sort=4&Recs=10

ok lj i installed the ram just now.

EXTREMELY noticeable increase in speed on the web. pages are loading crazy fast.

getting ready to install the memory here in a few wish me luck :Xfingers:

How this ended.​

i watched a dude on youtube remove the old paste with rubbing alcohol & install the new, then went & did it.

my computer fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffflies!!!!!!!

thanks for all your help. i am grateful!

How this ended.​

i watched a dude on youtube remove the old paste with rubbing alcohol & install the new, then went & did it.

my computer fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffflies!!!!!!!

thanks for all your help. i am grateful!

You might want to check your key board out seems like the "F" key is sticking :lmao:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back