Clutch Shoes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bildad

OK, so my truck is running great, the tune is sweet now, After sealing up the engine and Carby thanx to this forum and the collective information on offer here by you's all, adding an extra bit of fuel line with a loop has cured the mid tank lean problem as well. I am going through 2.5 Litres of fuel (that's a bit over half gallon for you non metric people) a week and the inevitable has happened, I need new clutch shoes.
Here in Oz, stock clutch shoes cost $80 au for shoes, no springs!!! and as I am a noob to all this I have a couple of questions.
1. Are all the clutch shoes/clutch setups interchangeable between all savage trucks?
2. The integy clutch kits are inexpensive by comparison are they as good as the stock aluminium shoes? (I know about the different spring tensions and counter weights) I just want to know if they last even nearly as long as the stock ones? I know having a high idle with the clutch engaging nearly all the time will wear shoes out quicker.
3. Savage X clutch kits are also way cheaper than stock XL shoes is it worth going down this path or are the Savage X owners swapping over to the XL shoes?
4. Dynamite Max Life shoes, I haven't seen them advertised with springs do stock xl springs fit these shoes? If not what springs do you put with them and which model shoe IE, DYNP5180?
Any other tips are welcome and I thank you fellow Savage owners for your contributions as you have made problem solving of the common issues very easy to overcome.
May your truck always be upright and your glow plugs never burn out.
Cheers,
Stu.

What is making you say you need new shoes? I believe the stock should last much, much longer than what you got. Perhaps there is another issue?

To answer your questions as i know them:
1. Yes
2.Aluminum wears much faster than the stock shoes. If you were to get another make of shoes I don't see how it would be cost-effective due to the possible need of buying new springs, clutch nut, and perhaps collet (unless you find an entire setup that is less than the stock shoes, of course).
2b. I'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what you might be thinking. Wouldn't the case be the higher in the RPM range the shoes engage, the faster they wear? Perhaps I'm not understanding, but I don;t believe the idle (high or low) plays a role here. If the shoes open at 20k RPM with 1.05mm springs (example) then it should not matter if it started at a high or low idle.
3. I have the X version and am pretty sure they will fit because they are the same shoes. Can't say for sure but you might check on that one.
4. I do not know anything about the clutch shoes you mentioned (only heard of them) but you might look at a Mugen clutch. You can get one on ebay for a decent price. I know people who have used that clutch on their Savage. I saw one (collet, nut, springs, shoes, flywheel, everything) for $30 not long ago. Just something to consider. Also, I use an M2C one now,. It is kind of expensive but plenty of ways to adjust it for the current engine/surface.

Cheers Newbie, when I was breaking in the engine I couldn't get the truck to idle without the clutch being engaged so I thought I must have been wearing out the shoes quicker than expected I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow and you can tell me if they have much life left in them having said that I just received the integy ones I mentioned and they look pretty beefy by comparison to my used ones.
Thanx for taking the time, it sounds like you know what you're on about.

Cheers Newbie, when I was breaking in the engine I couldn't get the truck to idle without the clutch being engaged so I thought I must have been wearing out the shoes quicker than expected I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow and you can tell me if they have much life left in them having said that I just received the integy ones I mentioned and they look pretty beefy by comparison to my used ones.
Thanx for taking the time, it sounds like you know what you're on about.

If you take your clutch bell off you can check the wear fairly easily. Notice the groove that the clutch spring is riding in on the clutch shoes, if the shoe has worn down to the point where the spring is even with or higher than the shoe then it is time for replacement. Other than normal wear, check for chipping or cracks, those are also good signs that the shoes need replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Back