clutch shoes a bit worn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeyeberhardt

I had a problem where when i hit the brakes the truck kept dying so through some trouble shooting i found out the my shoes were not disengaging(?) for the bell...so I'm assuming it is just the shoes they look to be pretty worn down but not seeing them compared to new ones in hand its kinda hard to tell..I'm guessing they got worn down quite a bit from when i was running it at first and not completely understanding how everything worked and it wanted to keep on edging forward I'm guessing my idle was to high so it kept the shoes engaged slightly...

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 16
they look bad but not horrible...is there a shim between the clutch bell and the shoes? if not, then that could be your problem.

it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyway, though. since you have the engine and clutch off.

yea i have the shim but or some reason when i pulled the bell off the bearing on the front of the bell came out in pieces...so I'm gonna replace that too.. not sure why that bearing did that..

there are shims between the bearings and the clutch shoes/bell, just so you know.

I'm not saying you shouldn't replace the bearing, I replace them every time I change shoes. but just so you know to put them back in.

take a small file and remove any burrs on the shoes, check the springs to be sure they are ok and pull the shoes back in, lube or replace the bearings and reassemble the shoes and bell then test it out to see how it works....
as for a bearing failing, it does happen at times, they take lots of heat and stress so it is good to keep an eye on them....

I had a similar problem. The shoes were riding high on the poles, the springs were not sitting in the correct place on the clutch nut. I ended up having to bend the spring arms to get them to sit right.

Probably a combination of your bearing dieing on you and the burrs on the shoes grabbing the wheel or bell and not disengaging. Replace the bearings, and take the burrs off the shoes, then it should be good for a while. Alloy clutches do require maintenance.

Ok sounds like I'll give the shoes a lil bit of filling and make sure the springs are sitting on the pins right..and replace the bearing that failed on it..does anyone have pic of a clutch shoe that is right at the point that it needs to be replaced so I can save it for reference?

If the grooves where the springs go are so shallow that the spring can contact the bell... it's time to replace the shoes and springs.

Sounds pretty simple I will have to take a look at them here in a bit when I go out to the garage

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back