clutch shoe question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticconi

well as I'm waiting for my truck to sell i decided to go thru another tank of fuel. i did the first tank off the ground just because i wasn't 100% sure about my battery and fail safe, just didn't want to take a chance. anyways i put it on the ground and it started right up just like last time but the truck wouldn't move hmmmm. it idled fine, i checked to see if my linkage was making my brakes engage but no hmmm so i took the engine out took off the clutch bell and the ofna aluminum shoes were scuffed just on the tips of where they flare out and touch the bell, right at the end of them nowhere else. i cleaned the bell and shoes with denatured alcohol scuffed the bell up with some fine grit sand paper put it back together and it's doing the same thing. this is a new one for me i need some help. i ran the rest of the tank on the stand and it will grap with 1/4 throttle but as soon as it's on the ground it wont move. the slipper is cranked down, the diffs spin freely (shimmed) so I'm running out of options here. i looked at the clutch shoes closely and they are seated correctly as far as I can see and when i put the bell on it spins freely just like i should. am i missing something?:duh:

It is slipping somewhere..........

Check to make sure that your pilot nut it TIGHT and make sure that your springs are not bent outward........

Hope this helps

i have a flywheel wrench and tightened it down. what do you mean by bent outward? Do you have a pic a properly installed clutch. I have never had a problem like this before I'm getting stumped here

Did you verify if CB is spinning or not when you blip it?
If it is, is the spur spinning?
If it is, when the truck is sitting on the bench and you roll it backwards, does the spur spin?

What I am getting at, is that the OWB within the tranny could be causing issues.

when it's off the ground and i blip it, it works fine. bell moves spur moves but when i put it on the ground neither the spur or bell moves so I'm pretty sure it's the clutch. the clutch was market on the very end of shoes where it comes off the crank and touches the bell. i put 1.0mm springs in it so their not too stiff. i might try to take the shoes off and install them again

Can you see the flywheel well enough to see if it continues to spin when you blip it? It may not have seated well on the tapered collet, and is slipping on the crank.

i pulled the engine again and found that one of the clutch springs was not fully seated on the clutch nut fixed that started it again and the same thing is happenning, it was a little darker outside and i could see sparks flying out from the clutch bell by the flywheel. I'm running out of ideas here

One other thing that just dawned on me...

Don't take this wrong - it's just a thought... are the shoes on the right direction? I don't know exact symptoms if they are not, but I know they won't work right.

lol yeah they're on right here is a couple of crappy pics from my cell you can kinda see the black marks on the shoes from where the are wearing on the bell
flywheel.jpg

rc1.jpg

rc1-1.jpg

Well, I guess all that is left, is to return to wence we started.

I would return to stock shoes and springs for a test run.

The fact that only the very tip of the shoes are showing contact may signify they are not the proper shoes (too short). It's really hard to make out in the pics.

Lay a stock shoe on top of one of them and compare size and profile - if they are the same, all it leaves is spring tension.

Whenever I mod, and something is screwy, I go back to the last setup I had that worked - it rules out everything else!

oh god i know those pics suck i took them with my blackjack2 cell i don't have digi. my last shoes were teflon junk from my nitrostar 25 and i junked them. i think what I'm gonna do is take them off, and start all over again with from scratch. i will not sell this truck like this, not the way i do things, kind of a neat freak lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Back