Clutch Bell Bearings Destroyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithv

While tuning my Savage X 4.6 engine today my clutch bell bearings suddenly disintegrated. Both bearings fell apart the clutch bell came loose and destroyed the spur gear. I replaced the bearings tonight and reassembled everything with a new 49T spur gear. The stock was 47T. Now here are my two questions.
1. Should the clutch bell spin freely when I turn the spur gear by hand? I only have the truck a few weeks but when I got it, it seemed the clutch bell grabbed a lot more then it is now. Now I can spin the clutch bell and turn the spur gear pretty freely, there is no tension against the fly wheel. I haven't had a chance to run the truck yet because of the time now.

2. What will the difference be with a 49T spur gear as opposed to the stock 47T?

Also has anyone else encountered problems with these bearings like this?
Any tips on what else I should check?
Thank you.

the bell should turn freely...so all is well...the clutch should only engage when the engine is running, and revving above an idle...

since you are changing spurs as well, you'll need to reset the gear mesh...the 49T spur will give you less speed, but more low end torque...

the cb should spin freely buy hand. when you replace the motor, if you have the mesh rite it should spin pretty freely the cb@ spur.
the higher the spur teeth the more tork, the lower number give more speed.
yes the bearings take a lot of high rpm's and can go bad.
some thing,s that will make them go out, useage of corse spinning at very high rpm's, mesh set to tight binding the cb,cracked engine plate usally at the left rear engine mount area.

Thanks guys. I reset the gear mesh with a piece of paper that rolled in between the gears easily when I turned the spur gear by hand. My LHS only had a 49T spur on hand so thats what I installed for now. I'm waiting for the 47T to be delivered. I think there was a problem with the way the clutch bell was installed from the factory because it didnt spin anywhere as freely when I got it as it does now. Ill be going out to test it in a few minutes, hopefully all goes well. If not Ill be back to pick your brains again. Thanks for the help.

When reassembling your clutch bell with the shimms and brass spacer, I prefer the new xss metal spacer, make sure the bell has spins with no drag from the screw being tightened against it. Sometimes it take some light sanding but putting it back together with preload on the bearings will destroy them...I got impatient a couple times and I ruined them twice within 5 tanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Back