Cheap Waterproofing Alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js78

Ive been researching how to waterproof my savage since we have quite a bit of snow up here in Canada. I didnt really like the saran wrap method, and i didnt want to go to the hardware store and mess around with that liquid plastic stuff. I just wanted a cheap easy solution that would maintain easy access to my radio box.

My solution was a Ziplock bag, preferably the freezer ones since they are stonger. All i did was unbolt my receiver box along with the steering posts and put it in the ziplock bag. Once in the bag, take a knife and make two slits for the steering post and push them through. After that i put the radio box back in the truck and screwed it in as normal. Now cut 3 more slits in the bag, one for each steering turnbuckle and one for the throttle servo. That it, water resistant and easy access to the radio box!

I realize this method wont really work if the truck is submerged but it should protect it from splashes and snow... I think. Lemmie know what you guys think.

IMG_1148.jpg

I use no protection and run around in the snow and threw puddles. I have had no issues but have had a buddy fry a steering servo from water. It should work though. I also have use the plasti dip which works great for servos and you could use a light bead of silicon around the battery box to give that a bit of a seal. It would look nice.

No protection? Tsk, Tsk!

My favorite is Dielectric gel. Liberally coat any areas such as connectors with it, as well as servo shafts, etc. It is safe on all electronics, as it is 100% silcone paste (stays a paste - will not set up like sealant) It is also 100% waterproof.

You can pic it up at the local hardware store in the electrical section, or at the auto parts store.

True if water gets in it would just sit there and could be bad, same thing for the saran wrap method i guess. I think someone really needs to make a watrproof radio box with an o-ring for the savage.

MotoPsycho do you open your servos and put the gel inside or just on the connector ends?

Last edited by a moderator:
True if water gets in it would just sit there and could be bad, same thing for the saran wrap method i guess. I think someone really needs to make a watrproof radio box with an o-ring for the savage.

MotoPsycho do you open your servos and put the gel inside or just on the connector ends?

Pop 'em open an get around the shafts real well too. Unless it is submersed for any period of time, the joining surface between the top and the body of the servo is not a big deal.

One of the easiers things to do for servos is to get the new E-Maxx waterproof servos.

moto, if I'm going to run alot of wet time I will use the dielectric grease like you do.

Works great on yer 1:1 as well - sparkplug boots never stick of corrode
battery terminals never corrode - all lighting sockets and connections etc.

I heard the new Revo-jeeze did I just say that word here?- has water proof, not resistant servos. Maybe they could work for ours? Are the E-max strong enough?

Dave

Not sure if these are strong enough either.

Dual #2075 Digital Waterproof Steering Servos
Two #2075 digital servos offer up a combined total of 250 oz-in of torque and 0.16-second transit speed for authoritative steering power and precise control. Digital circuitry increases response and provide instant torque. The servos are also waterproof for racing in any weather condition.

#2075 Digital Waterproof Throttle Servo with 125 oz-in of Torque and 0.16-Second Transit Time
A 2075 digital servo also provides the throttle/brake duties for maximum control over acceleration and braking. Powerful, digital torque increases clamping force on the brakes.

Pics can be seen here. http://www.rcworldforum.com/showthread.php?t=307

Dave

I heard the new Revo-jeeze did I just say that word here?- has water proof, not resistant servos. Maybe they could work for ours? Are the E-max strong enough?

Dave

Name one person who takes there revo in the water ??? :FarleyParty:

uhmmmm I have 2 revos one is a racer(only 2 tanks on it) the other a basher and it has seen a lot of use in the snow and has seen more than one rainy day mud puddles and all.. with no added water protection

Liquid electrical tape works very well. Than a little dab of grease under the horn and its good to go.

i have had much luck...maybe I'm speacil cuz we got 100 inches of snow this year and i ran my savage x ss all the time and no waterproffing. is that a good sign or not!

much luck rusting out your carb, backplate and the inside of your transmission if you haven't taken steps to dry them and clean them after playing in the snow. Its once the rust sets in, that you have to worry.

The radio box is pretty water resistant for the most part.

yeah i dried it and tore it arpart nothing was to rusty just spared with wd40 and it was fine

i always used large round ballon's to wrap the reciever and servo's...a few small zip tie's around the wire's, or the linkage off the horn, and they are pretty good.

i don't drive my truck under water, but i did use them in the snow alot.

:( no rain in az so i never had to waterproof any of my trucks ... but i seen ppl do the balloon tricks around all conectors severos and battery box.. for the sand dunes. ive used the long ballons you make animals out of for a fast shock sock when running in sand . works great..

i use hot glue to cover the cracks on the servos Vaseline on the servo horn and balloon on the Rx. I also place a large redbul can on the air filter

i understand all of it but the redbull can do to wont it hold water instead of keeping it mostly dry and i do understand the idea behind it but do you have a pic of how you have it set up?

eric....

a simple one is to use balloon on the rx and battery and plasti dip the servos . i just leave my fliter alone

What do you guys think of Corrosion X for the receiver and maybe ESC? Heard good things about that stuff, and recently discovered the local distro sells to end users.

Some folks I hear even use it as after run oil when the real stuff runs out.

I realise it ain't cheap at $17 bucks a bottle... If you think about it though, 16fl oz's gonna last you a really really long time.

DF

waterproofing

ok their is a video on you tube how to waterproof your servos and esc,it shows him putting plasti dip on the pc board of the esc.don't DO THIS i tried it and smoked my esc.if anything use the plasti dip around the seam of the case.but not on the board.plus this voids the warrenty.so if you whant to waterproof your savage,the best way is to stay out of the water

i plasti dipped the board and it was perfectly fine until i overheated it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back