center differential mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faisalbasha

Mr Nonsensical
I'm thinking of removing my savage flux transmission and replacing it with a center differential. It looks cleaner that way and there will be more space.
I will have access to the center much easier and quicker.

I did some research and it turns out I need to get a center diff from the VORZA PLUX HP (I think). My main concern is how will I be able to mount it on to the savage xl...... My head started to hurt after a couple of days search with no result. This forum is my last resort...

Thanks a lot but this solution is not feasible for me at the moment. To ship to Canada I'm charged 27USD. when you convert 99 + 27 USD = 126x 1.25 conversion to CAD = 157.5.

I'm gonna be end up paying nearly 160 for this item. Too much.

image.png image.png image.png So basically the center diff is a savage flux differential except the VORZA flux spur is used instead of the diff gear?? Or am I wrong.

Last edited:
Looks like it, just be aware there is no slipper setup on that by the look of that picture, so that may present a problem for things like the differentials taking a beating upon hard landings...

Is the center differential supposed to be locked? I can't seem to turn the gears at all....

Yes I understand a diff should be free but I'm going to use this as a center diff for my new project. I'm replacing the tranny with this center diff. Does it still have to move free or its ok for it to be locked in this case ?

If you can't turn the gears there is something wrong, which means you have to check what's wrong.

If you want to lock it, why use a center diff??

I think I know what the problem is .... I just realized the screws are a little short so I think I need longer screws.

They're a savage differential. Just changed the gear to a VORZA gear instead. I'm talking about the actual diff.

Last edited:
If you cannot rotate the drive cups on that "diff" there is a problem...you should open it back up and inspect for incorrect assembly...

maybe take a picture or 2 and post them....because we all know what a generic pic looks like but yours may be different.... and the screws holding on the ring gear can also be too long causing trouble and too short they will not adequately hold the ring gear onto the assembly....

I don't have a picture yet but will have one as soon as I get home. The only alteration I did to the savage diff as seen in the picture is removing the screws and replacing the ring gear with the VORZA gear as shown above. The screws have been replaced with same length screws but with the ones with different head as shown here image.jpeg

Ah, the heads aren't sunk into the crown gear. Those are sunk for a reason..

They are hanging on the diff assembly.
Just replace the standard screws and you will be fine...

Last edited:
So I have to put the flat head screws back??? But then they wouldn't be flush with the gear.

If they won't be flush you need smaller screwheads.. How much will they stick out?? Maximum 0,5mm is fine.. If it will be more you have to test it out in the assembly. I don't know the measurements of the Alza diff.

So I have to put the flat head screws back??? But then they wouldn't be flush with the gear.

Sorry you lost me here, I would still like to see a couple of pictures of what you are using....most of the ring gears I have seen used on a differential use a countersunk screw to hold the ring into the diff housing

I got the ALZA parts and I am already facing my first problem.......the savage diff fits in the ALZA centre diff kit. but it took a lot of hassle....the problem is the diff cups don't go through the holes....instead i had to take the diff apart and assemble the cups first by putting them though first and then adding the rest of the diff.....I'm not sure what the problem is this time....

I just need someone to tell me which parts are used to create the centre diff because i have a feeling i got the wrong parts. my parts are the following:

1 - savage ss bullet proof diff (complete)
2 - versa flux spur gear.

I attached the vorza spur to the diff.

--------------Please someone tell me from which parts is the centre diff combined of. -------------------

Still waiting on a couple of pics of your setup, not much one can do without seeing what you are talking about.......

The first image is the Alza mid diff kit.

The second is my finger pointing to the cup that won't fit in the kit without taking apart the whole diff and inserting it first.

The third is the original savage diff gear that I replaced with the forza.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 35
sorry guess you misunderstand, those pictures do not show the problem or the back of the ring gear... you say you have to put the drive cups into the differential and pin them , this is standard for the savage otherwise the drive cups would just slide out...... some pics of the internals may be more help than just some pics of it all assembled and ready to install......

I am unable to remove the 2 plates because the cups are too big unless I dismantle the whole diff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
The cups should fit in the center diff mount and still have room to remove without disassembling the diff with them on there, are you sure you are using the right drive cups on that diff setup, it may be that is the cause of your diff binding

Latest posts

Members online

Back