Case Hardening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawlinClodKiller

I am just wondering if anyone has tried to case harden the ring and pinion gears. I am thinking about getting everything to try it. It is not to expensive and you only need to harden the teeth of the gears. If this had been tried and it was no good it would be nice to know so I don't waste my time and money. What do you all think?

I don't know what case hardening is but, I tried to harden a pinion gear and it seemed to wear out just a fast as non hardened.

I heated it to glow point and dropped into used old can. comes out hardened

You can buy them allready hardened from BLING racing .. an ebay store. I run them so far so good

The gears are already hardened. The teeth and ends should appear black and the bearing surface will be shiny from the grinding process. Trying to case harden them will most likely make them more brittle.

Case hardening should not make them brittle if you do it right, and temper them after. Also I thought people did not like the bling diffs. How do youi know they are actually hardened?

it may also be the method of making the gears and all you may have to do is clan then up with the wire brush and they may look the same as any other gear

it may also be something reacting woth something in the metal

Case hardening should not make them brittle if you do it right, and temper them after. Also I thought people did not like the bling diffs. How do youi know they are actually hardened?

Try putting a file on the surface and see if it marks easily. If it does, then it is not hardened.

Members online

No members online now.
Back