Carbon fiber diff plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88gtanotchback

SAVAHOLIC
Hey guys i ordered some carbon fiber up to cut some hinge pin braces and had some left over so i decided to try my hand at a larger piece.
First off i DO NOT recommend anyone do this. Its messy, dangerous, time consuming, and tedious. Leave it to the pros, Larsen at platnium RC will take care of ya.
So with all the warning out of the way, lol, lets begin. I started by using my cheap dremel, and cheap dremel bits. i used a grinding disk, and they were garbage. i used five of them and never even finished. I took a trip to the local Canadian tire and picked up dremel name brand bits and and grinding disks and it smoothed out the project immensely. in the end i ended up spending a bunch on this lil project by the time you take into account, the tools, bits, and the fact that its no were near the quality of the stuff larsen would use. but anywho heres some pics.
3347130418_large.jpg

3347130422_large.jpg

3347130423_large.jpg

3347130424_large.jpg

3347130425_large.jpg

Overall it was a fun project. It turns out i shaved 14 grams off per each plate, so not a huge saving but still less is more right. That and i got rid of a little more of that purple. :D

First off i DO NOT recommend anyone do this. Its messy, dangerous, time consuming, and tedious. Leave it to the pros, Larsen at platnium RC will take care of ya.

ive only had to mod a couple pieces to customize & i agree with this statement 100%

But,

you did a outstanding job. + rep

Very nice job 88, may i asked what you got the CF sheet for? price wise? and how big of a piece did u start with

Looks very good especially for going at it by hand. I'll give ya the props for trying to cut this stuff by hand as like you said its a mess and a bit dangerous if not handles correctly when cutting but obviously its worse with volume. It's also very abrasive and hard to bits.

Looks very good especially for going at it by hand. I'll give ya the props for trying to cut this stuff by hand as like you said its a mess and a bit dangerous if not handles correctly when cutting but obviously its worse with volume. It's also very abrasive and hard to bits.

in addition, a very small cut will produce 100x the amount of dust you think it will.

thanks for the comments guys. i ran the vacuum non stop to get the majority of the dust, and used safety glasses and and dust mask so i covered my bases. And yes its very hard on bits Jason. If i knew what i know know these would have been for gone or included in my order. But its neat to try since i had so much extra.

3347130432_large.jpg

all done. as you can see there not perfect by any means but the fit is good and i used up some extra carbon fiber, so overall I'm really pleased with the results. i still need to drill one more hole that i must have forgot about, then there done!

Awsome! :resp: for getting them done. I don't think I would have finished from what everyone's saying about cutting the carbon fiber.

Making any other parts too?

Dang, makes me want to go all carbon and get rid of the purple now. Thanks a lot... LOL

Well guys i got some tinker time in tonight again and got the rest of the pieces cut.
3347130436_large.jpg

as you see i never notched two of them since its not needed for the one side. i figured it makes my life easier and adds some strength. Not the best job on the cutting but i am happy with it over all
3347130437_large.jpg

stock weighs 5.4 g
3347130441_large.jpg

new and improved weighs a 2.9g a nice weight savings. 2.5g per piece.
3347130444_large.jpg

finished product all ready to start assembly.
3347130446_large.jpg

all done with cutting for now and i can honsetly say i wont miss it. lol, but i do love the look.

thanks mike, i got the rest of the CF coming from the best in the biz so i cant wait to get it all tied together.

nope, it is just flat. seems to work fine, i guess the true test will be when i start assembly.

Yeah because when i "CRASHED" my savage into a wall every thing bent and snapped and both my lower bulkhead plates where messed up and ever since when i take my TVP's off the holes in the bulkhead don't line up with the TVP, and my plate is plate :dunno:

i got the purple plates extra if you need. free just pay shipping and I'm Canadian too so it shouldn't be bad.

P3050184.JPG

ill get a pick of them with the skids next time I'm "allowed" in the garage. g/f is cracking down....lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back