Carb question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFishMan

I have a Savage X with the old style f4.6 engine. The engine pops but won't start. I've tried adusting the carb but it either just pops more or less but never starts. It has been sitting for 5 years. I flushed the old fuel out of everything and used fresh fuel. Can the carb be shot? I know very about gas engines in rc cars. Thanks

I think you may need to take carb apart and clean it and change fuel line, hope filter in tank isn't clogged, if you had a little thinner or acetone that would clean it up well, gasoline may help, even something from auto parts store, if it's popin it's wanting to start, may even take motor apart and clean it, there are video s on you tube to go off of and help, it's easy, good luck

Thanks, I didn't even know there was a filter in the tank. There is an inline one.

don't use acetone or any other harsh cleaner, all you need is denatured alcohol and blow backwards thru a piece of fuel tube to clean the internal stone filter...
Disassemble the carburetor and clean in a bit of the same dna and put back together.....

I probably should have asked this before I did it but here I go. Is it ok to take the glow plug out and spray carb cleaner in the engine through the plug, intake and exhaust to clean it? My experience is with muscle cars and this seems very different.

Honestly if it is anywhere near as bad as the carb was I would just disassemble it and start with a known clean :ercm:

you have to keep in mind that as the fuel we use evaporates away it leaves behind a sticky gummy oil residue... this stuff needs to be cleaned well to get desired results of a running engine...

Sorry, I've been busy. I'm keeping the truck but it has to be put on hold for a week two. I cleaned the carb and it pops more now. Will taking the engine apart and cleaning it really help? I thought the OWB was shot so I replaced it and had the same problem. Yes, I put it in thr right way. I took the engine, mounted it on a board and use a drill direclty on the starting shaft. I think it may mot be hoid because I need to put a decent amount of presdure on it.

I started my Lst2 last week, first time in about 5 years, and experienced the same thing. After about five minutes I pulled the glow plug and hooked it to the rechargeable ignitor I was using. It glowed bright momentarily but would dim gradually after about 5-10 seconds.
I switched to an old c-cell ignitor, with a fresh battery, the truck fired right up. I guess that gives you one more possible scenario to look at.
Good luck, it'll start.

Yes , cleaning motor will help, new ignitor battery, and glow plug, also new gasket between header and block, new zip ties on gasket and muffler gasket. Making sure all bases are covered so there is good spark, and no air leaks .. Other things you may need or want to do is different maintinance, grease, new hump pack

Cool, thanks. I'll get on that soon. This thing just looks like a beast compared to the other cars and trucks the kids have.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back