can & should i use 8 big bore shocks for massive air?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO MAN

Hey people,ive had my savage x nearly 3 months now & ive been going big on my ramps lately..as such ive bent & snapped 7 shock rods..ive ordered some big bore's & was wondering if they would be less likely to do the same if i had 8bb`s on there..
i have'nt seen anyone using 8 & was wondering why,the thing is that even with my 8 adjustable stock size shocks all the way screwed & extra stiff springs & thick shock oil the savage still cracks off the ground when i go over 10ft high..i want to do 20-30 ft high jumps & i doubt 4 big bores are guna be enough for my chassis to stay off the ground.
any advice a.s.a.p would be great because my fellow europians don't seem to know much about it.they drive like wusses..lol...most of em anyway =)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have heard that u can use 8 but I'm not sure if it requires some modding to do it or not as i forget,but while I'm talking with you i want to welcome u to the forum!! And I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge about the big bores will be here to help ya shortly......

Hey people,ive had my savage x nearly 3 months now & ive been going big on my ramps lately..as such ive bent & snapped 7 shock rods..ive ordered some big bore's & was wondering if they would be less likely to do the same if i had 8bb`s on there..
i have'nt seen anyone using 8 & was wondering why,the thing is that even with my 8 adjustable stock size shocks all the way screwed & extra stiff springs & thick shock oil the savage still cracks off the ground when i go over 10ft high..i want to do 20-30 ft high jumps & i doubt 4 big bores are guna be enough for my chassis to stay off the ground.
any advice a.s.a.p would be great because my fellow europians don't seem to know much about it.they drive like ******* lol...most of em anyway =)

Hey Chief, you can't swear or work your way around the filter here. It was stated clearly in the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Ok... yes you can run 8 big bores... they are not necessary for handling purposes etc... But for high jumps i don't see why not.

People don't run Big Bores on the front.This is because, people who run the Savage suspension conversion, require full throw of the steering which means only being able to run one shock in front. If you don't mind losing a little steering then go for it...

Here are some vids on how to do it and what mods are needed.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlyPUt3fHo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l22iqcykrLk[/YOUTUBE]

Theres the How to for you...

Got a warning with my first post...niiiice..i`ll try & tone it down coz i don't wanna get kicked off just yet..lol
but yes thanks for the link j1a1h...its was very helpful

yep, i got a similar warning for a video i posted up which had a soundtrack which may have not been suitable for all ages, and considering there are a lot of young enthusiasts, it good to keep it clean...
Lots of people here, ready to help when you need it!

By the way what springs are you using on your Bigbores? if they are stock springs then you could always get stiffer ones?

I'm running the stiffest springs which are red if i remember correctly and they are pretty good, but id say if you are doing big big bad man jumps then 8 big bores with stock springs will do you.

I tried 8 big bores on mine with the stiffest springs... but it wasnt a good idea. The springs were so stiff that it cause me problems on take off and would cause me to immidiately nose dive, making it hard to bring the nose back up

any advice a.s.a.p would be great because my fellow europians don't seem to know much about it.they drive like wusses..lol...most of em anyway =)

Ill say if you can hit 20 feet of air and your chassis does not bottom out you will be ======> lucky<===== if the truck does not bounce off the path to the ramp...

This is mine 20 feet up all day 4 BB's and truggy shafts in them (half the ride height) its all about handling not landing, for me...

[Youtube]<object width="1300" height="765"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9g_4gEyw0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9g_4gEyw0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1300" height="765"></embed></object>[/Youtube]

Its not a bad thing that the truck bottoms out anyway... As banks crazy jump shows that even with lowered shocks, it doesnt matter as long as you land on all 4 wheels

it doesnt matter as long as you land on all 4 wheels

this is a good point & you prolly wont damage a shock if you land 2 of 4 wheels when you land. the 'one-wheelers' usually bust up parts.

Its not a bad thing that the truck bottoms out anyway... As banks crazy jump shows that even with lowered shocks, it doesnt matter as long as you land on all 4 wheels

+1
Id rather bottom out since the skid area is alot stronger than the arms, shocks, and towers

yea I'm not crazy about transfering all that excess impact to the savages internal components by slamming the skids off the ground..will let you's know how it works out when my bb's arrive.
thanks again 4 the advice everyone =)

yea I'm not crazy about transfering all that excess impact to the savages internal components by slamming the skids off the ground..will let you's know how it works out when my bb's arrive.
thanks again 4 the advice everyone =)

Well that is what the skids where designed to do so I doubt it would break anything and also shocks are only really meant to reduce the impact of a landing and not completley absorb it. So I think you would be fine with only 4 bb and not 8

give it a go and see how it handles.

It could work better just for jumping or it could have a negative impact... I notcied a negative one but as i said, i think it was due to me having the suspension too stiff.

so hey ive been using 4 big bores & 4 standard shocks on my sav for a for a few days now & its working great...the truck dosent slam off the ground from massive drops & i haven't bent any shock rods despite many bad landings...even some really bad landings..lol..
i have stiff springs on the regular shocks & standard springs on the bb`s but with extra spacers.
i will have stiff springs for the big bores soon & hopefully they will be enough by themselves...because then i could take out the extra spacers in a matter of seconds to ride around at half the height which looks really cool & improves handling alot.& just pop the spacers back in for big jumps

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back