busted bevel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvinesquirrel

today as i was rebuilding my diffs i found one sheared grub screw at the rear of my transmission. a broken mount on one front a-arm. then in the front diff i found this.

DSCN0767.jpg

the small bevel was damaged but i was shocked that nothing happened to the 43 tooth. i checked SMF they sell the 13T by itself but my manual for my XL lists the 13 and 43 as a "heavy duty" set. not sure if there is a difference but it is about $20 more for the set.

any ideas if it is the same bevel gear? or just grab the set?

The XL has a hardened bevel gear. Stock is a cast piece. I'm not sure about the pinion. But I have both. I will compare them tonight and see if there is a visible difference.

There is really no visible different .. That is a pinion not a bevel gear..The XL should have all hardened gears .. Wont do a bit of good tho if they aren't shimmed right tho ... If that was the front you might wanna make sure your breaks aren't locking up on you .. That will cause the front diff to fail quickly.. ether way shimm the diffs.. And if you are still running stock bearings .. You might wanna think about a upgrade

yeah my stock bearings all froze up. i have the new ones already in place.

i thought it was weird that they both were labeled as bevel. might be confusing.
i think the culprit was when my buddy was landing the truck revving throttle.

there wasnt much or any play in the rear that i noticed i do have the shims waiting. this was my first tear down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back