building a flux :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super nub i drive traxxas

alright i got some questions for you brushless guys. my nitro trucks drivetrain is completely shot so ive decided to make it a flux. don't wanna buy the conversion kit cuz i don't want those tvps. so I'm starting with either the FLM extended flux chassis or the tranny forward conversion. first off which of those do you recommend? and then what else will i need to complete it. i know electronics and stuff i mean little stuff that i probably over looked and possibly point me in the direction to where to find em cheap.
if youve got flux parts let me know
give me suggestions in general really. I'm a noob here

hmm
You will definitely need [HPI 100905] to convert your 3 speed or 2 speed trans into a single speed. You will need the FLUX motor mounts [HPI 100903] & [HPI 100906]. Oh can't forget the battery boxes [HPI 100908] and a pinion depends on what gearing you want. Stock gearing is 44/20.

Few options for the power plant.
HPI Torke and blue combo (Made by Castle)
Castle Castle MMM 2200kv and esc combo

I'm pretty sure that's it.

do i need the motor mount and a motor plate?

Yes.
images

alright and what do you guys think regular extended flm chassis or the tranny forward one?

Is there an esc mount?

i made one. the one for the b/l revo works killer. i used the top part of it to make my mount.
DSC_0074.jpg

thats using the revo mount in stock form.

i used the top piece and a square of CF to mount inside the tvps behind the motor.

alright heres the flux update.
went with stock tvps. they were only 2 dollars so couldnt beat that.
IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

now on this next pic can anyone give me a part number for the screw that goes into the radio box? on the 25 radio box that screw isnt required so i don't have em.
IMAG0241.jpg

alright adding everything all up
savage x ss 2 speed to convert-$25 shipped
CC 20t pinion-$14 shipped
battery boxs-$24 shipped(right after i bought these got an email from TCS saying these were back in stock...)
Battery box mount and HD servo saver spring-$17 shipped
Tork 2200-$100 shipped
44 tooth spur and slipper set up-$17 shipped
44t gear to convert tranny-$9 shipped
TVP's, radio box and motor mounts-$35 shipped

241 dollars total so far
still need esc and lipos

man thats a lot of money for something that doesnt make any noise or smoke (unless your esc burns up) go brushless!

Might wanna pick up a robinson racing pinion and the hpi hd 18/23 drive gear. Niether one of the stocks will last long, even on 4s. Make sure you put red locktite on the grub screw for the pinion and let it sit at least overnight.

SS, i like the build. the flux is a great truck in any form you build it.

its an expensive truck no matter how you build it and when i did mine i had to save and buy it piece by piece. takes longer but in the end you'll have a killer truck. +rep.

Thanks frddy. I hear ya on saving I'm stuck at the esc and lipos now. Soon enough. Ill save up and go cf when I get the chance

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks frddy. I hear ya on saving I'm stuck at the esc and lipos now. Soon enough. Ill save up and go cf when I get the chance

yep. upgrade when you "want" and "can," its not a "need." i seen plenty of guys get tons of use out of the stock parts.

hell, i still got my bullet-proof diffs in the bag caz the stock flux diffs are holdin up killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
on the left side i was trying to put one of the screws into the tvps and it would spin and never get snug like the rest. took plates off and this plate
IMAG0251.jpg

doesnt sit all the way down. how does that plate come off? figuring theres some dirt or somin under there keeping it from going all the way down.

Take all the screws off for the skid plate and the lower bulk plate will come off. Then clean it off! Lol pretty dirty for a new build lol. Do you have the plastic tvp braces? May be time to apgrade to aluminum, or else you can get a longer bolt and run it through the brace and put a nut on the end.

Can someone give me a run down on how to mount the esc

your using the stock motor plate so your gonna need the stock esc mount & its on this tree http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Battery-Box-Mount-Savage-Flux-HPI100909-/160498173524?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255e6fc654#ht_2672wt_907

it screws into the motor plate and also to the tvp. it is very easy to do, but if you need more help, d/l the flux manual from www.hpiracing.com and it shows how to do it with pics.

Members online

Back