Build in some upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Zero

Ok so I’m building a Flux XL out of a nitro XL using stock parts, basically I’ve bought a brand new complete centre section from a Flux inc TVPs to replace that of the (looks like new) XL roller I bought years ago & stored, so I potentially will end up with a new Flux XL. Which is nice.

However, as I’ll be pulling it all apart anyway it seems prudent to add a few upgrades while it’s in bits, but which ones? This isn’t going to be a mega turbo rip your head off spit down your throat type machine more a lively blast about until I’m bored kinda truck so it’s reliability I want most of all. I presume stainless fixings would be a good idea but what else needs upgrading for normal use, anything? Or just add some pretty bits & drive it?

Last edited:
No need for stainless fasteners unless you frequently run in wet and don't dry off. Thicker diff oil for brushless. Diffs should already be stronger type with 29/9 gearing. Stock tyres arent the best, look for better wheels/tyres that arent too big/heavy, maybe Arrma Backflip 4S LP. Centre skid plate perhaps but not essential. Decide on lipos, 2S x 2 or 3S x 2 and charger. Shoe goo and dry wall tape the shell. Rear c-hubs can be replaced with aluminium ones that remove need for tie rod and reduce slop.

No need for stainless fasteners unless you frequently run in wet and don't dry off. Thicker diff oil for brushless. Diffs should already be stronger type with 29/9 gearing. Stock tyres arent the best, look for better wheels/tyres that arent too big/heavy, maybe Arrma Backflip 4S LP. Centre skid plate perhaps but not essential. Decide on lipos, 2S x 2 or 3S x 2 and charger. Shoe goo and dry wall tape the shell. Rear c-hubs can be replaced with aluminium ones that remove need for tie rod and reduce slop.
Thanks. I’m in UK & prefer running these things in rain & snow so stainless will be worth it. Wheels & tyres will be changed, I love those black rims on the new Savage so will find some similar, I’ve yet to look into tyres but I will before I buy. Centre skid plate is an excellent idea I’ll look, something made of meaty nylon yes? LiPos I’ll probably try 2s to start with but I’m not too bothered with that side of it yet & I have various cells/chargers available (40yrs+ into RC cars so mucho ‘stuff’ laid about!) I’ll get the chassis sorted first. Shell similar I’ll sort that. Tell me more about the C hubs, I hate slop, will just replacing with alloy ones sort it without alloy arms? I was trying to avoid alloy arms because they snapped on my Savage 25. Losing the tie rods would be great too.

Integy or chinese copies on ebay/aliexpress....https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=6270&p_catid=147

You don't want/need ally arms.

Are you running stock esc and motor?

The aluminium gear in the gearbox will fail at some point and there is/was a heavy duty version.

The front upper hinge pins can come out due to bumper stays deforming, cheap fix is cable tie them together. Expensive fix is using plastic covers that come with sway kit that isnt available yet.

Integy or chinese copies on ebay/aliexpress....https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=6270&p_catid=147

You don't want/need ally arms.

Are you running stock esc and motor?

The aluminium gear in the gearbox will fail at some point and there is/was a heavy duty version.

The front upper hinge pins can come out due to bumper stays deforming, cheap fix is cable tie them together. Expensive fix is using plastic covers that come with sway kit that isnt available yet.
Ok I’ll check those out too then cheers.
As it stands yes I’m planning to use stock motor & esc or re-branded equivalents with 2s & see how it goes.

Mine has a center diff, stock flux xl diffs, with super heavy duty axles and drive cups, aluminum rear hubs, aluminum servo saver assembly and Arrma 6s backflips tires,and is almost bulletproof.

Latest posts

Members online

Back