brought a STS30 back to life.. vid.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiteRida

Basher in training...
Video "moves around alot"... My 7 year old son was the "camera kid". Next time we'll try the tri-pod.

A co-worker had a STS 30 that hadn't run in over 1 year. He originally ran it on Traxxas Top Fuel, which has alot of oil. The motor was locked up do to the left over goo/oil. So, I disassembled it, cleaned it, sealed it up, and dropped it in one of our Savages. We went over to his house to "try it out".

Gearing is 17/47 with a STS0702 pipe. Had a hard time not doing wheelies in the street. In the grass it would just flip over backwards. I was impressed with the fuel usage. Definitely runs longer on a tank than my K4.6 will. This is the "old loose version", not the tight V2. He was running a HPI ribbed pipe, but I assumed it would run better on the 0702 pipe (which I had "in stock").

We ran about 5 tanks through it. The highest temp on my Duratrax IR was 270F. It was overcast and 90F when we were running it. Everything was fine until the very end of the 5th tank. The carb "locked up". It would slide any longer. So, I'll need to take it apart and check it out.

We had a good time with it. Glad I was able to get it running for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNUj3c5IOo

Note: only 1 body was destroyed in the making of the video. The concrete is not forgiving....

Jon.

Gotta love the old version one's, they are the fastest .30+ engine I have ever seen, too bad they messed up the V2's so bad. Great vid, body killer for sure lol.

Gotta love the old version one's, they are the fastest .30+ engine I have ever seen, too bad they messed up the V2's so bad. Great vid, body killer for sure lol.

This is the only "old" version I've messed with. I bought a brand new V2 when all the STS hype was going on. The V2 was a terrible. Ran hot, no rpm, way too much pinch. After 1 gallon I gave up on it. It was "killing the fun". However, this loose STS30..... WOW. I was used to a K4.6 and this STS kills it and seems to more run time to the tank than the K4.6.

for 7 years old the cameraman did a great job. the hardest part is keeping it in frame. and he did very well with that. too many video's on youtube and the like are a couple of frames with the truck in frame and the rest looking at dirt the sky and really fast movement when it is not called for. so your son is a better camera man than I would say 75% of the RC vids I have seen. Love the portrait style during one of the wheelies!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back