Bringing the savage back to life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strikos

Hi guys, I am bringing my savage x 4.6 back to life after being in hibernation for 10 years!
I have overhauled the chassis and everything looks good except for a bit of surface rust on the dog bones.

The 4.6 engine is finished so I am looking at replacing with the following and would appreciate some advice
  • LRP ZR.32 spec 4
  • LRP ZR.28 spec 4
  • Alpha .28 5 port
I'm leaning towards the .32 because bigger is better!
If I go for this one will I need to do the following:
  • upgrade the diff and dog bones
  • which clutch/gear combo would you recommend
  • do I need to upgrade the stock clutch shoes/springs
  • will the polished HPI pipe and manifold work with it
  • for general bashing what diff oil would you recommend
Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to getting it up and running again.

Last edited:
Hi Strikos. I have a 4.6 that I upgraded and its one of my favorites. Run the .32 Everything should line up fine. The problems I foresee if the size. I have a novarossi rex legend .28 in my savage and I have problems with space a gearing. The engine didn't have any space to move. I milled away at the chassis to have some play room for gearing. It the old manifold and pipe fits use them. Pipes will alter the way she runs. Lastly anything that you think may break let it break. Replace and upgrade as you go. Fast lane machines makes some really great stuff. Lifetime warranty on all items and I tested it. It just socks thay make you send back the old broken parts. But low center gravity extended twin vertical places are fire.

Hi Strikos. I have a 4.6 that I upgraded and its one of my favorites. Run the .32 Everything should line up fine. The problems I foresee if the size. I have a novarossi rex legend .28 in my savage and I have problems with space a gearing. The engine didn't have any space to move. I milled away at the chassis to have some play room for gearing. It the old manifold and pipe fits use them. Pipes will alter the way she runs. Lastly anything that you think may break let it break. Replace and upgrade as you go. Fast lane machines makes some really great stuff. Lifetime warranty on all items and I tested it. It just socks thay make you send back the old broken parts. But low center gravity extended twin vertical plates are fire.

stay away from lrp until they release the new modified carburetor

you'll heavily regret your decision if not..

i have 2 and you couldn't PAY ME to get another currently..

some people have good luck outta them but their definitely not for beginners.

if you absolutely want one, I have one almost completely brand new. box, manual, everything

175 you cover shipping

🏎️💨💨

stay away from lrp until they release the new modified carburetor

you'll heavily regret your decision if not..

i have 2 and you couldn't PAY ME to get another currently..

some people have good luck outta them but their definitely not for beginners.

if you absolutely want one, I have one almost completely brand new. box, manual, everything

175 you cover shipping

🏎️💨💨
too late already ordered it…
Hoping I’m one of the lucky ones 🤞🤞

7D766628-033C-450B-BC18-2411B6228387.jpeg
7EB65A00-9A0A-4420-9187-FEF74E0E82CE.jpeg
Engine is mounted time to break it in!
Had some challenges with throttle linkage but good to go.

the pull start is in a tight spot to get to. Any suggestions to fix it?

I have the xl with custom tvps sooo no room problems here

it's not one or few people getting a bad engine..

the carburetor design itself is flawed. lrp already issued a statement admitting this a while back. the x design supposedly had a thermal isolator block inside carburetor that helped tuning when the engine heat up but people still have problems..

almost 2 gallons in and mine is finally starting to run better, but I definitely won't be purchasing anything new from them.

Good luck 🤞

Finally got this sucker running after a lot of frustration and swearing.

The factory settings are completely out of whack and way too rich. 6 tanks in and can’t get the engine temp up that high but it’s hitting third gear and still running rich.

Using the HPI polished pipe this is super loud neighbours definitely hate me 😂

Happy Days, the main thing is you kept going until you cracked it & probably learnt a lot more along the way! 👍🏻
Just out of interest what glow plug are you using?

Happy Days, the main thing is you kept going until you cracked it & probably learnt a lot more along the way! 👍🏻
Just out of interest what glow plug are you using?

I switched to an OS8 and running 20% at the moment that’s all I could find right now.

What’s everyone’s recommendations for diff fluid just for bashing?

ideally I want it to be able to wheelie, jump and burnouts. I want it all 😂

Funny have been using os no8 & have been out of stock for ages & when back in again price has gone up to over £10, so thought I would try hpi no5 glow plugs!

Latest posts

Back