Break in Temps ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XSavageX

Hey guys ...just grabbed a Savage X 4.6 .... I know during break in the enging temp should not exceed 250 F ... my question is after break in ...and proper tuning ..what is the usual safe operating temp of the engine ...?

Try tuning between 220-250F if thats possible for you. The leaner you tune for the more likely you will wear out your engine. Break in temps I don't like to see over 210F and make sure when you stop the engine you take the glow plug out and put the piston at BDC While its cooling.

alright ...thanks ...wasnt sure if the max 250 temp was only for break in or normal tuning... I will just tune it according to outside temps...run it a little rich in the hot summer months..

For break in I try for right around the 205-220*F mark for break-in and after that around or under the 250 mark but don't pay much attention to it once its broke it as I tune strictly to performance and smoke.

I broke mine in as per instructions (160-195 f) didn't get above 190. It's getting warmwer around here, and I'm with larsen, I tune for smoke, but I will keep an eye on temps, I generally don't go over around 230 when It's this cold, then around 240-250 in the summer month. Yes I said month, this in England! :lmao3:

ya tuning by temps isnt usually the ideal way to go about it.. its just a ball park figure as all these engines seem to have there own personalities i go by the smoke output and just the sound of the engine, but its still a good idea to keep an eye on temps from time to time....

just got back from finishing the break in ...started to fine tune it ...but I must say I'm a little disappointed with the power output... cannot get this thing to lift the front tires off the ground...I tried everything ...maybe the aluminum parts just added to much weight .? anybody with stock gearing and aluminum parts get it to wheelie? I have a 18-17 and 16 tooth main gears..maybe I will drop down to the 16 to compensate for the extra weight ...

just got back from finishing the break in ...started to fine tune it ...but I must say I'm a little disappointed with the power output... cannot get this thing to lift the front tires off the ground...I tried everything ...maybe the aluminum parts just added to much weight .? anybody with stock gearing and aluminum parts get it to wheelie? I have a 18-17 and 16 tooth main gears..maybe I will drop down to the 16 to compensate for the extra weight ...

X, is it a used Savage? just wonderin cuz a buddy of mine (brazil for bank, jud & G) has the heaviest savage ive seen with decent 4.1 hpi mill & its snappy as anything.

wonderin if your slipper nut is tight, clutch shoes are in good shape & your tune. btw, he runs a 17/47. :jamout:

X, is it a used Savage? just wonderin cuz a buddy of mine (brazil for bank, jud & G) has the heaviest savage ive seen with decent 4.1 hpi mill & its snappy as anything.

wonderin if your slipper nut is tight, clutch shoes are in good shape & your tune. btw, he runs a 17/47. :jamout:

She's brand new ...slipper clutch is tight ...I tightened it all the way in for a test run ...still the same ...backed it out after ... could it possibly be its shifting to early into 2nd ..?

... could it possibly be its shifting to early into 2nd ..?

its a possibility, but my X rtr was a dog & wouldnt shift out of the box until i ran her in & tuned it up, then i couldnt keep the front wheels on the ground.

think I found the problem?

noticed this dry black soot all over the rear control arms and axle on the exhaust side ...thought it was the dif ...look at the picture see if you notice anything unusual ...:dunno:... brand new already buying parts ..lol

Ally shoes, (Novas have had good write ups, should give quicker and harder engagement over stock) and rough up the inside of the Cluch Bell up a bit, not a great deal, a bit of scotchbrite pad, just to remove any glazing and oil residue. :jamout::jamout::jamout:

Latest posts

Members online

Back