Break in question Heat cycle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJC

OK fellas I finally had a chance to break in my savage. I used the heat cycle method but just wanted to know if I did it right. First I heated up the motor the best I could. At first the temps were not getting above 165 degrees, so I raped the head up with a few paper towles ( thats all I had on hand) well I managed to get the temps up to around 200 to about 225. I understand that you are only to heat cycle the motor for about 2-3 minutes for the first 15 or so minutes then increase to about 3-4 minutes until you have 20 to 25 mins heat cycle time. My question is it took about 5 to 7 minutes to reach those temps. I did this about 5 to 6 times. I also made sure that my piston was at BDC each time I shut her down. Do you guys think I ran her too long for the heat cycle method?

Thanks man. I have read through this and great info. I tried to break in my truck with this method by the letter but it just took me a little longer to reach the temps in the 200 range that I was looking for. I didn't have a sock to wrap up my cooling head so I used what I had. I also put the the body on so I could get my temps up a bit quicker. Seems to be running fine I just thought that I ran her in a little to long with this method. I think I
fine. Thanks again.

Was it at 165degs, stock settings? I believe you are suppose to lean it up to 200degs, I may be wrong though. Did it run 200 without the paper towels after?

Thanks man. I have read through this and great info. I tried to break in my truck with this method by the letter but it just took me a little longer to reach the temps in the 200 range that I was looking for. I didn't have a sock to wrap up my cooling head so I used what I had. I also put the the body on so I could get my temps up a bit quicker. Seems to be running fine I just thought that I ran her in a little to long with this method. I think I
fine. Thanks again.

no problem........

Was it at 165degs, stock settings? I believe you are suppose to lean it up to 200degs, I may be wrong though. Did it run 200 without the paper towels after?

I didn't get a chance to run her after breakin. I have 35min breakin time using the heat cycle method, but never had the time to lean her out and try. I never had a motor run so cold before during break in. The first time I started her up I started to drive around nice and slow. After a minute or so I took a temp. 165 degrees so I gave her a little more throttle ( about 1/4 ) not much improvment temps about 170 to 180. Thats when I shut off hte motor and wraped the head up with a paper towel. Sounds stupid but I was in a tight spot so thats what I used :vampire: anyway like I said temps got up to 200 to 225 / 230. Only thing is it took a while, but my question is when using the heat cycle method it says to run the truck slightly rich. Should I have leaned out my HSN a bit while doing this?

Latest posts

Members online

Back