Break in problem.Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinjay

Hi! I have brand new savage x 4.6 rtr. I have sealed engine and checked all the screws. Starting break in the engine i heated the engine about 230F. When i started the engine it started but rpm was crazy high. I turned little bit idle screw but nothing happened. I wont continue break in before i have solve whats wrong with it. Please help me so i can start it again. Thanks.

What was the issue that caused you to seal it? Was that fixed and this started or was this the problem. Before tuning an engine (during the break in process the engine is going to exhibit some things that appear to be an issue but are resolved when tuning,.

Also what did you use to validate you had a leak? (Again, iit could have been something else. Unsure of our experience but my assumption is you did not properly seat the idle stop screw in to the slide barrel. I hope you did not introduce any new issues.

Also, if it turns out you did not seat the idle stop screw, take a good look at the slide barrel an ensure it is not scored as it. Did you test the barrel with everything in tact after rebuildsing it.

I have sealed only the backplate in engine.i didnt touch the HSN or LSN. Also when i started engine i had to prime it quite a lot. I have started the engine only one time now and it runned about 2minute. I have been really carefully with the engine because i didnt want to mess anything.

I would take the air filter off and visually check that the idle is properly set. Then return the the mixture needles to the baseline settings. Before starting make sure that the the throttle/ brake linkage assembly is all working properly. Something could be binding just a tiny bit keeping the throttle from closing completely. Charge up all you batteries.

Also the engine should not need to be primed much. Change the glowplug now and get a few more. You will want to change it when you are done break in too.

If the idle is high it could be too lean. Do the wheels turn when idling? Thatwould be a good indicator that the idle is too high.

Okay!!! Thanks so much for these. It was all about my throddle/breaks linkage. I'm feeling kind a dumbass now. ... engine is running now and i will continue heat cycle method. First 3 min was great. Temp was only 235F. Thanks so much again.

Now this is strange... i have done now 3 times 3min period in heat cycling. Now engine is running but its making some "blip" throddle sound. Its like bogging. Is that normal?

a short video would help, its so we can see how the engine sounds ect, the engine will be set over the top rich, which is a good thing when running in a new engine, oil should be dripping from the exhaust too, nothing to worry about, you can if needed to keep the engine running just turn the hsn clock wise (tighten) but only 1/8th of a turn, just enough so the engine no longer floods and stalls, remember tho you are not tuning the engine to run but just enough to keep it ticking over while in the breaking in process, I'm at the stage now where the wheels are on the floor and I'm giving the engine no more than 1/2 throttle, even if i was to give it full throttle the engine just floods and stalls

the engine running rich is key to breaking in

hope this helps you

Last edited:
Yes, the exhaust pipe was dripping oil and little bit blue smoke came out too. Engine heat was 230F. I have done now 4 times that 3min period in heat cycling.
Thanks for your reply GP.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back