Break-in 3 tanks of fuel or 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

Good morning everyone!,
In another thread I told how the rotostart in my Savage X pucked right fom the git-go, so I took it to my LHS, and he fixed it and filled the tank with Traxxas top fuel, and had me take the truck outside and run it. It was the first tank of fuel in the truck, I told him that the manual says to idle the truck for the first tank of fuel, but he told me that it would be ok to drive it at an EXTREEMLY slow crawl for the first tank, which I did(I just barly moved the truck)! The second tank of fuel I did the circle thing at not more than 1/2 throttle, and the third tank I drove the truck all over my 1 acre at not more than 1/2 throttle.
So thats where I'm at now, so should I use one more tank of fuel for the break-in or do you guys think she's ready for a first real run? He also told me that after break-in I should'nt lean-out the main jet more than a 1/4 turn! Also do you all think I should put in a new glowplug, and if so what are your recommendation, I live 20 miles south of Chicago, and now the temp is between 75, and 85, and I use Traxxas top fuel 20% nitro fuel. Any advice is as always, greatly appriciated.
Motha Trucka

I would do at least one more tank....The idling and driving in circles is just to heat cycle the motor. I actually doubled my break in process to be on the safe side. From the point out of the box, I was driving in slow circles to heat cycle it.....Been running like a champ, ask ]-[0pa]0ng.....

OK I used a 4th tank of fuel for my break-in, the engine temp was 156.8 degrees, and when I had about a 1/4 tank left I got on it a bit and the engine temp went up to 256.6 degrees! Do you all think I should just leave the carb settings alone or should I start to lean the main jet 1/8th turn at a time until I have about 265 to 270 degrees, the outside temp is 83 degrees?
Motha Trucka

I just finished breacking mine in the other day and didn't dare touch the needle settings until well after the brack-in. And mine runs great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back