Brand New Savage - won't idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewd

I'm new to nitro. I bought a brand new Savage X 4.6 RTR yesterday, and finally got around to starting it for breakin this afternoon. With stock settings, it wouldn't idle longer than 10-30 seconds. After fiddling with low-speed settings, it idled for almost a minute once, but it's inconsistent - usually 10-30 seconds, sometimes even less. Lots of smoke and oil coming out the pipe. I'm using Traxxas Top Fuel 20%. Any thoughts?

yo leans out your high end needle.....
the low end should not be messed with until you have broken in the truck..

if you have to hold the trottle A LITTLE!!!!! to keep it running..

hope this helps,
if you still have problems then just private message me!

NATE!!

turn the idle up 1/8th of a turn at a time until it does, but the best advice i can give is take it to who ever you bought it from and ask them if they can tune it for you then you know its gonna be at its best as compared to if you were to tune it i know i get my boss to tune mine when shes outta wack and then she almost pulls wheelies with the 1 1/5 inch stretched chassis

LOL First I would change the fuel if you can. I haven't heard anything good about Top Fuel. The fuel wont be the cause of your problems though. But I know what is LOL. From the factory the settings extremely rich (to rich). I would give a 1/8 turns to the high speed needle. This should make it better, but if it's still not good enough lean the high speed needle another 1/8 turn. You should know for sure notice a difference, if it's still not whee it should be continue what I said. Make sure you lean it out enough so the engine gets to 200-210 degrees fahrenheit. It is ok to burp the throttle for a second to clear out the oil of the engine, nitro engine will only idle for so long anyways. When you are down the tank, let it cool down with the piston at the bottom of the engine.(Take off the glo-plug to check the piston). Once it has cooled, do a tank at 1/4 throttle, hold the throttle for 3 seconds, then break, keep doing this for the whole tank. Then do a tank with 1/2 throttle and do the 3 seconds burps again. Then do another thing with 3/4 doing the 3 second burps again. Then do another tank at 3/4 to full throttle for 3 second burps again. ALWAYS LET THE ENGINE COOL BETWEEN TANKS WITH THE PISTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE. MAKE SURE THE ENGINE GETS TO 200-210 DEGREES DURING THE TANKS. You should be done for the major break in now and can start tuning for performance, lean out the High speed needle first with 1/8 turns till you see no more performance gains, then back off the needle 1/8 to richen it up a bit. Now do the LSN, lean it at 1/8 turns. The way to check is it's in good is to do the following. Do a high speed pass then bring it in. Pinch the fuel line one inch away from the carburetor. It should idle for 3-5 seconds then speed up and die. If it just dies, it's to lean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go crazy leaning your needles. Return to stock seetings, turn up your idle. (go clockwise a little) If that doesn't work then lean your HSN in 1/2 hour increments till it runs on it's own. DO NOT touch your LSN till you get a few tanks through it.

Got it to idle through a tank -love that burnt nitro smell. I let it cool all the way down, now I'm ready to start low throttle breakin. But now it dies as soon as I touch the throttle.

Yep. I kept leaning it till it would stay running with some throttle. It would still stall out though, after a short throttle run, then get on the brakes, it would die. I bumped up the idle a couple times, and leaned it more a couple times. Finally it would stay running so I could make some short low throttle passes, and with only a little throttle would loft the front no problem. Got the temp gauge out, 244. Started going the other way, richening it, making a pass, temps got as high as 260. Finally got it to around 235 shortly before the tank was empty. Put it on it's lid from overcooking a wheelie - it just slid backwards upsidedown. Glad I put the roll bar on :)

Brakes need adjustment :duh:

Thanks for the help guys!

glad to hear your getting it figured out, now the fun starts when the front wheels barely ever touch the ground!!! lol

Yep, getting the feel for it. 5 tanks thru it now. Can't wait to get it offroad...

Members online

No members online now.
Back