Braking system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Hi I'm newish to RC cars I've recently purchased a hpi savage XL it's a beast but I went out with it at the week end and the brake pads came undone I've screwed them back together but the brakes no work can any one help me ?

There's a small brass piston that sits in a hole in the gearbox case and is pushed in/out when the brake is applied, so make sure that it has not fallen out.

The two screws that attach the brake plates to the gearbox should be tight and grip well. If they are coming loose then try a little super glue on the screw threads before re tightening and give it some time to cure,

Some parts are hard to come by on their own and this well maybe, best scour ebay. I've used a stop collar in past. You could also cut down a nail/screw of suitable diameter if you like bodging.

Will I have to take the gear box out ? I've got the 3 speed or will be able to access this by taking the top off ?

The brake is also adjusted using the plastic knob on end of brake lever. Tighten to make firmer.

You can manually push the upright brake lever to the left while rolling the car and see if the brakes are applied.

If you know what looking for from above truck, then you can see the top of the brake piston sticking out and should be touching the brake plate.
1594132885238.png

The brass piston is part of the brake cam kit. The XL part number is 86930, but I'm not finding stock of that. The savage X part number is 86092, only difference is the cam is a different color, piston is the same. I find the X part number all over ebay.

1594135292681.png

No need to take the transmission apart. The piston is put in from the outside of the transmission case. If you look under the caliper brackets on the transmission case you will see a hole for it. You need to remove the brake discs/ caliper brackets to get at it. I've done it without removing anything else, but it's not easy.

Looks like lokky & X got you taken care of. But, you should be able to access it from the bottom if you turn the truck upside down or stand it up on end with the front sittin on your work bench/surface/table. It will be a little more challenging that way, but is possible to get worked on.

What type of brakes are they? Are the disk SS or are they the red fiber ones? If they are the SS, I'd suggest changing them out for the red fiber ones.

No need to take the transmission apart. The piston is put in from the outside of the transmission case. If you look under the caliper brackets on the transmission case you will see a hole for it. You need to remove the brake discs/ caliper brackets to get at it. I've done it without removing anything else, but it's not easy.
Have same issue on my XL and do not small piston will order that and new step screws am I going to have to take tranny out to fix this issue is my question?

Without having a lot of messing around & swearing do yourself a favour & remove L/H TVP completely & take g/box out.
I have just done this as brakes were rubbish with also putting in new steel brake cam, which is stronger then aluminium older type.
I also used 5 shim washers (manual shows 3) under heads of step screws to take up slop of pads! 👍🏻

Without having a lot of messing around & swearing do yourself a favour & remove L/H TVP completely & take g/box out.
I have just done this as brakes were rubbish with also putting in new steel brake cam, which is stronger then aluminium older type.
I also used 5 shim washers (manual shows 3) under heads of step screws to take up slop of pads! 👍🏻
Ignorant and have to ask what is L/H TVP? And appreciate the feedback some of it's just foreign language sorry. I'll get there haha so am I'm going to have to take out the whole tranny assembly or just parts of it off?

Lol, Left Hand Twin Vertical Plate.
Yes completely remove this side not forgetting fixing screws to R/H top of gear box & screws where g/box fixes to engine plate!
Then once g/box removed remove brake pads to get at brake cam plug & replace!
Good luck mate! 👍🏻

Ok again sorry. This twin vertical plate? The side of the chassis? Sorry I have not yet honestly worked on these much at all obviously beside changing air filter and fuel cell. I'm so lost! Looked thru manual and none of parts called TVP or twin anything so guessing that's what you meant sorry so far from on page with you and appreciate any help. I've got alot to learn indeed. I'll figure out how to pull pages from manual and upload so I can ask more specific questions once I figure it out. Honestly a little worried I go to taking things apart and won't have a running truck if left to my own devices

No problem that’s what this forum is for ask away!👍🏻
Take your time & better still have printed manual version with you & just have a look through it to see how each part goes together.
After a couple of strip downs you will know how things go with your eyes shut, Lol!
Yes TVP side plates of savage if you want to call them that! 😀

No problem that’s what this forum is for ask away!👍🏻
Take your time & better still have printed manual version with you & just have a look through it to see how each part goes together.
After a couple of strip downs you will know how things go with your eyes shut, Lol!
Yes TVP side plates of savage if you want to call them that! 😀
Thank you and got a few things ordered to get brakes back and good. Will reach out if hit any bumps getting brakes back in action that is my next step. Also am wandering which fuel I should be using in my savage? does it matter if it's 20 or 25 percent and what do you all recommend and run in yours?

Latest posts

Members online

Back