Brakes will not work!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upbasher

Okay so I noticed when I was driving my savage that I had NO brakes at all anymore. So I made sure my servo was centered and I tightened the brake shoes....to the point where the brakes rub no matter where I set the trim. STILL no brakes more than what is rubbing. I push the trigger all the way forward and nothing. I can see the servo move but no braking.
I must be missing something here...whats the problem here?

What happens when you pull the brake lever with your hand ?

Oh and just a pro tip.... only noobs use brakes :D

They work fine when I pull them with my hand....I suppose that means my servo is bad or too weak, right? And thats another thing....the reciever batteries (I use double aas) die really fast. They only last a few runs before they don't have enough power to steer the truck.

I am not a noob. I have been in this hobby for a good while. I just don't like having no brakes. I smashed my emaxx into pieces with the savage once because I couldn't stop.
Of course it was an emaxx I don't care about it but still I like having brakes...especially for when I do speed runs.

I am not a noob.

Just do what i do crash in to trees, buildings, Cars, people on occasion :p Joking aside, I would invest in a batt pack. I have a tutorial on the site on how to build one if you don't want to buy or you can use an UBEC and 2s LiPo pack to do the same job. with hindsight I would go with the LiPo since they can be charged faster and they don't have memory problems or anything. I have had a few problems with NiMH batts voltage dropping too fast.

Also take off the servo arm and turn on your radio then reset the arms location giving a little brake with everything on set neutral ( on the radio ) After that see if the servo can pull the brake arm if it still does not brake even though it is pulling on the arm your zero may be shot. But don't replace your servo until you see if it is the batteries.

Just do what i do crash in to trees, buildings, Cars, people on occasion :p Joking aside, I would invest in a batt pack. I have a tutorial on the site on how to build one if you don't want to buy or you can use an UBEC and 2s LiPo pack to do the same job. with hindsight I would go with the LiPo since they can be charged faster and they don't have memory problems or anything. I have had a few problems with NiMH batts voltage dropping too fast.

Also take off the servo arm and turn on your radio then reset the arms location giving a little brake with everything on set neutral ( on the radio ) After that see if the servo can pull the brake arm if it still does not brake even though it is pulling on the arm your zero may be shot. But don't replace your servo until you see if it is the batteries.

The servo works fine giving it throttle. Oh well...I'll see if I can get a pack somewhere.

Are you usin the stock throttle/brake linkage? If so, the spring is probably shot/worn out. If that's the case, do the ofna linkage mod. Search the site for ofna linkage mod and tons will pop up. Heck, Flux may even post a link to a thread (or 2) before you can even search for it. Just a thought and my suggestion.

Are you usin the stock throttle/brake linkage? If so, the spring is probably shot/worn out. If that's the case, do the ofna linkage mod. Search the site for ofna linkage mod and tons will pop up. Heck, Flux may even post a link to a thread (or 2) before you can even search for it. Just a thought and my suggestion.

I'm not using a spring I'm using a piece of solid rubber tubing.

I'm not using a spring I'm using a piece of solid rubber tubing.

That's not the spring I was talkin about. And you never answered my question, stock linkage or ofna linkage mod? If you still have the stock linkage set-up (servo horns to he exact), there is a gold colored spring between the top and bottom pieces of the servo horn set-up. That spring is a power robber when it comes to the throttle and brakes.

That's not the spring I was talkin about. And you never answered my question, stock linkage or ofna linkage mod? If you still have the stock linkage set-up (servo horns to he exact), there is a gold colored spring between the top and bottom pieces of the servo horn set-up. That spring is a power robber when it comes to the throttle and brakes.

Oh! Its the stock linkage. Now I know what you're talking about. I'll try that.

don't try the ofna mod just do it . it will solve the issue you are having for sure.

if you do this mod and your brakes are still weak get the battery pack for more voltage, if they are still weak after that then buy a new servo. here is where my advice comes into play tho. if your savage is a stock rtr 4.6 ditch the throttle servo and move the steering servo to the throttle location then upgrade the steering servo.

Tenergy sells a good hump pack that will give ya better servo response and they aint bad price wise either. 1600mah was just 12 bux. and for servos go to Hobbypartz.com they have good prices and ship outta los angeles, so shipping is fast. I am using one of their servos on my XTM MMT and it works great... and the ofna mod is pretty ez and the brakes will work much better

don't try the ofna mod just do it . it will solve the issue you are having for sure.

if you do this mod and your brakes are still weak get the battery pack for more voltage, if they are still weak after that then buy a new servo. here is where my advice comes into play tho. if your savage is a stock rtr 4.6 ditch the throttle servo and move the steering servo to the throttle location then upgrade the steering servo.

Okay so the steering servo is more powerful than the throttle servo? Because I actually have the older savage x 4.1, I just put the new f4.6 in it.
Can someone explain what the ofna linkage mod is?

needs to be a 5 cell 2/3 aa pack if using NiMH or a LiPo pack with 6.6 volts . either way more mah is better

Latest posts

Members online

Back