Brake Disc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessdublin

Have found in need of new bake pads on my savage 21, I did upgrade to the metal hex nut & two vented metal discs but kept with the pads on each side of them. What improvement did HPI bring out later on this was it the fibre disc & metal pads & how do they perform?
Many Thanks.

Okay thanks, is this set up pretty long lasting?
Can I use my existing metal hex hub nut that comes off gear box that brake discs go over do you know rather then the HPI ?

I think that's all you need. I preferred it over the 2 steel disks. They liked to bind up on themselves when the hex part got a bit of wear in it. The fiber ones are a lot more forgiving, but if you brake "a lot" and frequently, they will fracture and fall apart.

I recently replaced mine due to them grenading on me with full force rc carbine fiber disks, just because they were on sale and I figured I'd give them a try. The pink ones lasted quite a while before that happened though.

Okay thanks, looking at image of packet looks like you get the step screws & washers in kit so perhaps did not need to order these separately?

Okay thanks, looking at image of packet looks like you get the step screws & washers in kit so perhaps did not need to order these separately?
Can't say. When I bought my pink set, it was a take off set on ebay that included everything. The hex, disks, washers, screws, "pads".

Remind me what’s the quickest way to remove g/box from truck to carry out this brake upgrade, do I take one side of the chassis plates completely off?
Many Thanks!

That’s the easiest way to do it because you have to realign the drive shafts when putting back. Having the TVP out of the way makes it easier.

Okay thanks, suppliers tell me it will be agood week before I have brake set in my hands! ?

For me, thought it was easier to just remove the entire rear pod, then the engine plate, as you have to get the engine plate out of there so you can fit the new hub/disks in.

Half of one, 6 of the other I guess. either way, the trans has to come out or the engine plate does. May actually be easier to fiddle with the little brake pads/washers/screws/disks with the transmission out of the truck entirely. If I remember right, that was a friggen nightmare when I put my dual CF disks in. I was about half a second from setting the thing on fire after dropping the shims, or a disk, or the pads, or the shims, or the disk again... for 20 minutes.

See on flebay you can get Chinese copy brake discs but they are 3mm thick instead of the HPI ones of 2.5mm would they work or bind up being thicker?

According to a reviewer on FFRC, the one I used is 3.5mm. I used 2 of them. They did seem a bit thick, but I was able to set it so they don't drag when idle.
https://www.fullforcerc.com/G001

What I had:
2012-1223-SavageX-Brakes.JPG

2012-1223-SavageX-Brakes02.JPG

What I have now:
2019-0429-SavageX-FullForceRC-CFBrakeDisks01.jpg

99.9% sure there are 1mm or 2mm spacers on the end of each caliper bolt as when I tried installing it without, the brakes were locked. They were aluminum spacers/shims I had on hand, which is partly why they were such a pain to install as they weren't magnetic and kept falling off. Really should have just pulled the transmission out entirely... would have made it way less annoying.

What I have used in passed when I had the vented metal type was to cut small bits of old fuel tubing & put them in between which seemed to work very well! ??

Measuring my existing brake hub appears to be not deep enough to take this new brake pad set up so have ordered the HPI 86322 one they recommend. This then looks like it’s going to foul the end of my engine plate, so my have to get the dreamel drill out for this! ????

Interesting, I just broke my Savage out of a five year slumber and noticed that the brakes were hashed.

Hopefully I can apply this fix also.

Done the dual brake upgrade today went okay pretty straight forward job, took the side TVP off to get gear box out. Glad I ordered the HPI brake hub as existing one was worn from the hex grub screw that holds it on, could not really see point of those silly small washers & what purpose they would serve though!

Reactions: Jr.

Latest posts

Members online

Back