Body Graphics using Water Slide decals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom H.

A lot of folks have been asking me how I get the graphics on my bodies so I thought I'd do a tutorial for y'all.

First, go here: http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm

Order the 8-1/2"x 11" INKJET WATER SLIDE DECAL PAPER 10 PACK. Make sure you select CLEAR paper.

You also need to run by the store and grab a can of Krylon Crystal Clear spray paint. Follow the enclosed instructions for printing the decals. Use your photo editor to make the image you want. Try to get the background color of your image as close to the body color as possible. When you print, make sure you mirror (make it backwards) the image first.

img2387y.jpg

Once you're ready to apply the decal, just soak it and apply it to the inside if the body wherever you want it, just like you used to do to models when you were a kid. Make sure it's nice & smooth with no air bubbles. I usually dab it with a paper towel until it starts to set up.

img2388x.jpg

img2389w.jpg

Once it's cured (about an hour), paint (with a small brush) the backside of your image with white (faswhite). That will make it visible. I usually do 2 or 3 good-thick coats.

img2392.jpg

img2393w.jpg

After that dries, you're ready to paint the rest of the body.

img2398b.jpg

After the paint sets up, if you don't coat everything, at least put a couple coats on the decal area with Papilio Clear Aerosol UV Laminate Spray or whatever sealer you use. If you don't, it'll bleed the first time it gets wet.

img2399r.jpg

And, if all went well, you'll have a body that turns peoples heads when it goes by!

img2400n.jpg

img2403x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicks Butt Tom, thanks for takin the time to post up a valuable thread that everyone can use.

+ rep

great info my man,should help alot of people as it seems quite a few members are painting there own bodies now............

Great tutorial man, it really helped me understand how to do this. +rep

Latest posts

Members online

Back