Body air vents, YES / NO??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akiran

Got a new`body coming for my XL and I have seen some with holes cut in the windscreen for more air flow.

My question is what are the pros and cons of doing this.? and is it worth doing?

i did it because there was a hole in the body cuz'd from bashing.....
so i just make it for some good looking (than a hole)......

only necessary if you cant keep it in the temp range you like on hot days.

otherwise, your truck does not require it.

i have cut out the hole in the windshield on my bodies as i read its best to do so but maybe its not necessary, i would just watch the temps and if you need better cooling go ahead and cut out the hole in the windshield...............

In the past I have usually cut a hole in the windshield. Works for excess cooling although I never seem to run with a lid. It also works great for a grab handle although hard on the lid.

The more holes you have the faster the body will go down the drain and the weaker it is.

Savageman why would you never run without one?

When you run a body without air coming in the engine is breathing the stale hot air under your lid. It's not as much for the cooling fin as it is for the intake. You guys all know your motor runs better on cooler air right

I have no cons. I have torn up plenty of bodies but never from the hole in the windshield. The weak point I have found to be in the bed where you have to make holes for the head and tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
why?................

The body offers way more protection than i realized.

Last time i ran w/o the body (which was the last time), the truck rolled & foam on the filter rubbed the ground & got mud into the intake.

Lid would've prevented that.

Plus on top of that, i gotta admit i love the look of it with the body on.

I just started running with a lid again. It keeps the truck cleaner and Yes put a window hole in it. It helps keep it cool, provides fresh air for the intake, and give you a way to refuel. I even take out one of the side windows so when I pit you can grab the handle to open the tank through the windsheld and refuel though the side window. Every second counts when you are racing so you want to make it easy on your pit guy.

The body offers way more protection than i realized.

Last time i ran w/o the body (which was the last time), the truck rolled & foam on the filter rubbed the ground & got mud into the intake.

Lid would've prevented that.

Plus on top of that, i gotta admit i love the look of it with the body on.

Savageman said he never runs with out air intake holes.

I think your answering a dif question......lol

I cut the entire windshield out of my stock XL lid. It does have a couple small splits at the top corners of the winshield but that could have been prevented by making my corners more rounded. Plus this body is very thin and I know it's not going to last forever anyway. I bash it hard and it is holding up well to the abuse in my opinion, considering a major portion of plastic is gone from the front and back of the cab area now. When I get splits I just drill a small hole at the end of the split and that seems to stop them very well.

BTW I also like the windshield missing because it is nice and easy to turn on my receiver switch, and I have my voltmeter mounted to the top of the factory radio box so it is readily visible looking down through the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut holes, they help keep the engine temps down. That being said, you don't "have to" cut holes but you will have to run a more rich setting so the fuel can keep the temps down BUT that also lowers the power output due to the rich setting. With holes the air aids in temp reduction letting you run a little more lean giving you better power output in the end. The point of having a big finned cooling head is to use air to help cool the engine, the more air the better unless it's an onroad, then it becomes a parachute lol.

I cut holes, they help keep the engine temps down. That being said, you don't "have to" cut holes but you will have to run a more rich setting so the fuel can keep the temps down BUT that also lowers the power output due to the rich setting. With holes the air aids in temp reduction letting you run a little more lean giving you better power output in the end. The point of having a big finned cooling head is to use air to help cool the engine, the more air the better unless it's an onroad, then it becomes a parachute lol.

what he said.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I live in Australia and we are coming into the hottest part of the year, 35c + days, this was my main concern.

Hole in windshield... Yes in Texas.

The key to making the body last is smooth corners. What I do is drill a hole at each corner of the "square" that I want in the windshield. I then use a new razor blade to "score" the lexan on each side of the square. Then with the lexan scored you work it back and forth and it breaks along that line. Now you have a hole with nice rounded corners. I've never retired a body because of damage in this area.

i wont run without a body ever again. i had a similar experiance to fred but a rock damaged the carb ( put a nice little crack in it that gave me nightmares for awhile ). i run my bodies with out a windshield for refueling reasons as well as fresh air for the intake.

Yeah i am the same i wont run without a body what i do is drill a heap of smaller holes in the right side,and in the grill area it also looks good as well,by the way what part of australia are you in akiran

Yeah i am the same i wont run without a body what i do is drill a heap of smaller holes in the right side,and in the grill area it also looks good as well,by the way what part of australia are you in akiran

Western Australia.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back