Blue Groove Sway Bar Kit - Install & Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

When I saw Blue Groove's post about their Savage anti-sway bar kit, I liked what I saw and immediately got a set to try out for myself...look below and you can see the setup for yourself!
(Of course my Savage has FLM extended LCG TVPs, but the install would be the same on a stock 25 or X chassis.)

BlueGrooveSwayBars001.jpg

BlueGrooveSwayBars002.jpg

Here's what you get in the package:
  • (2) sway bars
  • (4) 4mm x 12mm button head screws
  • (2) long CF mounting plates (front)
  • (2) short CF mounting plates (rear)
  • (5) slings for mounting sway bar to upper A-arm (1 is an extra...nice touch!)
  • (8) stop collars
  • (1) set of instructions
  • (1) decal sheet

For those concerned about weight, I weighed the setup, minus the 4mm screws (they are replacing existing screws)...Only 2.1 oz!
BlueGrooveSwayBars006.jpg

Installation is really easy and requires no disassembly of the truck whatsoever. First, thread the bars through the chassis, over the driveshafts and under the upper A-arms.
Front:
BlueGrooveSwayBars005.jpg

Rear:
BlueGrooveSwayBars004.jpg

At this point, take a close look at the CF plates; two are slightly shorter, and they need to go on the REAR sway bar...the longer ones are for the FRONT. It's easy to mix these up if you're not paying attention, believe me lol. Also, the holes are different sizes too; make sure the smaller hole goes on the sway bars.
BlueGrooveSwayBars003.jpg

Now, thread all the parts on the bars in order: First the CF plates, then a stop collar, then the sling...first one eye, then over the arm, then the other eye, finished up by the last collar.
Front:
BlueGrooveSwayBars007.jpg

Rear:
BlueGrooveSwayBars008.jpg

In order to keep both sides even, I tightened the stop collars first, keeping the collars on the end the same distance from the tip of each bar. The stiffness of the bar is adjusted by how tight you pinch the slings around the upper A-arm, another nice feature. After that, I replaced the skidplate brace screws in the TVPs with the supplied units and tightened them down (with Loctite, of course).
Front:
BlueGrooveSwayBars009.jpg

Rear:
BlueGrooveSwayBars010.jpg

Once tightened down, the sway bars cleared everything, even on my chassis.

Front: (It's close to my steering link, but not too close)
BlueGrooveSwayBars011.jpg

Rear: (It runs right under the pull-start, but again, there's enough room)
BlueGrooveSwayBars012.jpg

And finally, a couple of (shameless) shots of them ready to go. Another bonus is that I can still use my PVC stand with these!
BlueGrooveSwayBars013.jpg

BlueGrooveSwayBars014.jpg

Please feel free to ask me about anything I have missed...I tried to be thorough, but you know how that goes sometimes. :duh:

I will update this thread very soon after I try these babies out. So far, I give Blue Groove two thumbs up for a quality product!!

-Greg
THE JUDGE

Awesome post. If I could give you rep I would. I might have to move my servo to how yours is positioned if I want to get this kit fitted to my truck. Also might be a little difficult fitting it to the rear of my truck as I have the standard length chassis.

Major Props! We couldn't have done it better. Simple in design pinnacle in performance. Blue Groove is expecting to have different durometer Slings for '09, offering even more tuneability (top secret, so don't let anyone know that yet :) :)

great post!! and the pics are good as well, nice and clear!! sounds and looks like another awsome product compliments of blue groove, cant wait to hear how they hold up for ya!!!

Nice job Judge. I do believe I'm gonna have to get a set once I can finally start building a racer savvy. Keep us posted. And rep is on the way.

real nice write up and pics. I almost bet if a set showed up on Jeremy's door step he would slap them on and keep them on. JMO

the book

Yeah, that merchandise HOO-ER!!! AHAHAHAHAA!

I DON'T SEE ANY PIC'S!!!
IS IT JUST ME?

Last edited by a moderator:
]-[0pa]0ng;70888 said:
real nice write up and pics. I almost bet if a set showed up on Jeremy's door step he would slap them on and keep them on. JMO

the book

They look really nice .. I WOULD run them .. But being a Basher they might not hold up.. But I have to say they are the best looking bar I have seen .. Nice Job BLUE GROOVE

Well, I finally got to run with the swaybars the last two days, on dirt, grass and asphalt...and they work! I had a lot less body roll than before and I could make tighter turns without lifting a wheel. Before I went to the asphalt, I tightened the straps up a bit more, and they worked even better.

Also, I must note that although I flipped and cartwheeled my Savage a few times, the bars took zero damage...in fact, I cant see how they could get hurt, unless you broke an A-arm or something.

Overall, I consider these swaybars to be a worthy handling addition, and worth every penny. Props to Blue Groove!

Great review awesome pics. You do a killer job. Like Jcam said you have a gift headin your way.

I like the simple install nature of these, but I am curious about how they perform next to the HPI sway bars. I would like to see someone do a head to head comparo so I could make a good choice on which ones to buy. Also what was the cost on these?

Savage Sway Bars

Of Course I would say use Blue Groove's set up, So yeah ours are the best!!!
I would also like to see a side by side comparison but remind you that results would still vary as everyone drives differently. We use beefy bars that will hold up to a lot of abuse where as the stock uses smaller diameter bars and several plastic links that break and easily bend. Our design uses longer arms to allow for flex plus the sling bands add with allowing subtle roll. Our tuning is simple with sling bands that can be adjusted with a simple pinch fit of stop collars. The sling bands are injection molded custom stout bands made from durable rubber that withstands gallons of punishment. Having an inboard design protects from the hardest hits. Easy Design, Easy Tuning, Instant results.

I do recommend spending some time adjusting camber and toe for final tuning as well. Adding sway bars will change the performance of the whole suspension package. These are one of our best sellers GLOBALLY and personally haven't' heard a bad-word. Oh wait someone broke a shock tower and tried saying it was the sway bars how silly. The post he hit or landing super high jump on 1 wheel wasn't the blame I guess. But that was it.

A brief History: At the 2008 RCX show in Pomona California we introduced the kit to the RC World and a prominent HPI staff member received a complimentary set for demo. A few weeks later I got a call for more to outfit his whole HPI Savage Team for the upcoming 2008 World Finals. At 2009 World Finals we were approached by Dennis Anderson's son to set up the first application on the Savage Flux. If they didn't perform I wouldn't have this little tidbit to share with you. They work, They Hook Up, and They Endure!!!! So quit your stalling and get ahead of the crowd. Just Kidding Hope I helped with your curiosity so you can stop running out to flip your truck back on its wheels with a brand new shiny set of sway bars.

Pull Some Throttle!!!

The censored was "b a d W o r d" nothing more It must be blocked. I spelled broken up it this time to clarify. Happy Easter Sunday.

The censored was "b a d W o r d" nothing more It must be blocked. I spelled broken up it this time to clarify. Happy Easter Sunday.

lol Blue ! that is just a smile not a censor marker ... if you hit the censor every letter comes up as ban- you will know it fast lol. I fixed the first post for you.

nice write up! Great pics

Members online

Back