Big dawg's savage build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawgsavage

hey guys kinda new to the forum and thought i would come in and stroll.. in the meantime i thought i would share my project savage and how its become one of my favorites.. ive always been that guy that buys trucks and mods them and just sells them before i even get to drive them... well this one is different.. i have been into rcs for over 15 years and ive had everything from boats, planes, cars/trucks, nitro, electric to gas powered 1/5 scales.. and over the years i have come attached to the savage line of trucks..so i think I'm going to keep this one and just make it the way i want.. about 3 years ago i got out of rcs to get into another hobby of building atvs and sleds... well dang it. i been missin out lol.. atvs and sleds are cool but these things never seem to get old to me.. so one day an old buddy of mine called me and asked me what i would suggest for his first rc and i had him sold on the savage, so with him buggin me to help him, made me want another, so here it is...

So i started out with a brand new in the box Hpi Savage X 4.6 RTR which i paid 450.00 for delivered to my door... brand new in a sealed box.. buddy and i got together one day and decided to break the trucks in together and we had fun.. didnt have any issues other then some electrical issues but found out soon after that it was just the weak batteries.. for some reason the stock 4AA holsters suck and they made the truck act funny so we upgraded to the 5cell battery packs and never had any issues after that.. after running our trucks for a bit (half a gallon of fuel) we decided we would go bigger with new and better motors.. so we did some looking around and well, in the past i have always loved lrp engines.. ive had alot of good luck with them and i had to sell him on one, well he was sold lol.. he bought an lrp and lets just say i had to as well.. so i got the lrp.. after doing some research and looking for pipes and other upgrades i came across a member on the savage-central forums that had a nice like new extreme rc mods 221t endbleed pipe made by robin.. i had to have it.. in all the years of running nitro, i have always heard good things about his pipes and always wanted one but its always been a pain to get one in my hands so i never did.. after finding this one i was sold... so anyways.. enough of the boring stuff... that being said this is how my project started...

And now for the goodies... Lrp 30 spec 2 and ercm endbleed

And now for a running video.. Waiting on a servo at the moment so i couldn't drive it.. Awful to have to wait for such a small part just to drive it after hearing this sound and power..

Last edited by a moderator:
Good start. I looked through your album a little. Is the IRC savage your previous truck (IRC LST shocks, IRC TVPs, mid tank)?

BTW, your third picture is a dead link.

Thanks for letting me know lol. I found a thread on rctech that a member started a while back with the iirc lst shock conversion. I had thought about doing that and there were some other things i saw on the truck that i liked so i saved those pics. I thougt about it though and i think I'm gonna keep the stock savage shocks for now. Still debating on a mid tank and flm chassis though. It looks neat

So.. After messin with the savage some more this weekend the picco boost finaly came in the mail and just looking at the motor i thought.. The hell with the lrp i had to have the picco boost on my truck, so that being said here are some pics..

After sealing the carb

Once i got the motor and pipe all mounted i started messing with some suspension adjustments and thought id try the mod that some people have mentioned about putting fuel line under the shock piston to shorten the suspension to give it better handling.. We will see how that goes. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to shoot them to me.. Thanks. More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
more parts come in today.. got the sway bars in, and got a 3 speed transmission but i think i want to wait on the 3 speed for now until i get to try the new engine on the 2 speed and see how i like it.. just thought id post some pics as i go with it.. I'm liking this thing more and more.. should have a glow plug by the weekend and get to post some vids..

Lol yeah it is very cleAn. It only had 8 tanks through it when i started the project. I plan to start breaking it in sat or sun so i should have vids soon. I wish i had a good video recorder. All i have is my iphone

hey guys, haven't been on the site much lately been busy with work but I'm still messin with the savys.. i actually got another one in the shop and have been working on it.. its an older model but its like new.. this one is a savage 21 with a nitrostar 21 bb 3.5 in it and let me tell u.. it is clean.. pulled the truck apart for a good cleaning, which wasnt much because i don't think its had more then a few tanks run through it.. i got this truck for free from my cousin and have had a little time with it.. i pulled the motor apart to go through it and it is like new.. the piston is still shiny like the day it was released..
here are some pics of the way i got it and what i have decided to do with it...

The motor

I have decided to pull the .21 off and get a lrp 28 spec 3 for it.. ive never really been a big fan of rtr engines and we all know the .21 is not going to cut it lol..not sure what pipe i am going to get for it yet, i may end up getting another ercm pipe or maybe just a dynamite 053,dynamite 086 or some jammin pipe.. not too sure yet... i also plan to get a savage x chassis, beter servos and radio equipment, and some bp driveline parts.. soon to come.. but one thing at a time..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back