Big Bores bleeding questions/procedure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Form

I have a few questions regarding how to fill the HPI Big Bore shocks:

1 - When the piston is compressed, the oil level tends to rise, pushing the oil outside. Do I need to let the shock sit a bit after compressing it then re-fill it to the brim, or do I just screw the cap on directly?

2- What do you consider "overfilling" to be? Wouldn't the excess oil be pushed outside when the cap is screwed on, making overfilling impossible? Should I fill flat to the brim or a bit lower?

Here is the procedure I'm planning to use for filling those. You can just copy-paste it highlighting your modifications if you find something that's not right:

Procedure:
1- Lube the shock shaft (to prevent from tearing o-rings).
2- Unscrew the bottom shock caps and change the pistons to 1.6t (note direction of the tapered holes!).
3- Put the bottom cap back using teflon tape to seal it good and make sure it is screwed tight.
4- Fully extend the shaft.
5- Fill half of the shock while tilting the shock on the side to prevent air bubbles from appearing.
6- Move the shaft up and down to remove air from the bottom of the shock.
7- Let the shocks sit for a while.
8- Fill the shock completely to the brim.
9- Compress the shaft fully and slowly.
10- Let the shocks sit for a few minutes.
11- Add oil to fill the shock completely again.
12- Screw the top shock cap back on.
13- Install the shock spring.
14- If 100% sure the shocks are OK, superglue a piece of tie wrap over the gap on the bottom retainers to prevent them from coming off (Bank's tip).
15- Rock them.

Note:
The shock should NOT rebound at all, or have a very small rebound.
All shocks should feel (and rebound, if there is some) the same way.
It should not make a squishing sound (air trapped inside).

i used about half of those steps (and i thought i was being pretty careful about the whole thing) and mine are great. all 4 of them take about 4/5 a bottle of oil. have a piece of styrofoam or something available that you can jam the rods into and will hold them plumbish while you wait for them to debubble.

Procedure:
1- Lube the shock shaft (to prevent from tearing o-rings).
2- Unscrew the bottom shock caps and change the pistons to 1.6t (note direction of the tapered holes!).
3- Put the bottom cap back using teflon tape to seal it good and make sure it is screwed tight.
4- Fully extend the shaft.
5- Fill half of the shock while tilting the shock on the side to prevent air bubbles from appearing.
6- Move the shaft up and down to remove air from the bottom of the shock.
7- Let the shocks sit for a while.
8- Fill the shock completely to the brim.
9- Compress the shaft fully and slowly.
10- Let the shocks sit for a few minutes.

11- Add oil to fill the shock completely again---- don't do this step as the shock has to have some room inside of it for the volume displaced by the shock shaft....

12- Screw the top shock cap back on.
13- Install the shock spring.
14- If 100% sure the shocks are OK, superglue a piece of tie wrap over the gap on the bottom retainers to prevent them from coming off (Bank's tip).
15- Rock them.

my tip is not needed if your running at full ride height. pulling the shaft and getting oil in the bottom cartridge is to keep them from leaking. its more of a wiper seal than it is a oring in there... you wont tare it.

So fill ,blead out air, compress and cap

my tip is not needed if your running at full ride height. pulling the shaft and getting oil in the bottom cartridge is to keep them from leaking. its more of a wiper seal than it is a oring in there... you wont tare it.

So fill ,blead out air, compress and cap

Ok, thanks for the details, Bank!

I should get my big bores in the following week or maybe the next. I'll post to say how it went!

Latest posts

Members online

Back