Big Bore vs Stock Shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher_Ed

I have been seeing a a lot about the big bore shocks. I currently run just the normal stock shocks. I have done some research but can't find a clear and concise answer as to what is the practical gain of big bore shocks over stock shocks.

having owned and run both, id have to say that there isnt any that you would ever notice.

truck handled great with the stock shocks and black springs & i never broke a part on them. big bores are kind of the "in" upgrade for savages. it really comes down to personal preference and trying something different.

Jumping with my XL i kept bending stock shocks into an L shape. Come one frddy you remember this =P. Upgraded to Big bores haven't bent one yet. I have broken the shock cap but i have AL on there now. Pretty much IMO if you are bending stocks ALOT get big bores.

oh yeah, its coming back to me. but then again, you avoid me like the plague these days so i don't really remember what you look like.

a lot of guys have had better luck with them then i did. mickey has a ton of huge air jumps with no damage logged on to his big bores.

i just don't love them. i guess part of it could be that since I'm running the d8t's they are so much better constructed that i hate myself for paying so much for the big bores which werent anything special to me. :dunno:

having owned and run both, id have to say that there isnt any that you would ever notice.

truck handled great with the stock shocks and black springs & i never broke a part on them. big bores are kind of the "in" upgrade for savages. it really comes down to personal preference and trying something different.

Plus Freddy, you gotta remember the BB came out/got released around the same time as the RSC, if I remember correctly. And with the RSC, you can only run 1 front shock.

And to answer your question Ed, I've never ran or owned a set of the BB. The stockers held up for awhile til I really started beatin on the truck. Then it was just rebuild/replace, rebuild/replace, and so on. Then I tried Integy MSR4s, bent those shafts faster than stock. Then tried Integy MSR5s, bent those just as fast as the MSR4s. Then tried the MSR8s, they lasted slightly longer than stockers. Then I tried the Cen GST 7.7 stock piggybacks. Ran those for almost 2 yrs and never had a single problem. Only bent one shock shaft cuz the bottom mount screw fell out so the shock was just hangin there. Now I'm runnin the LST XXL shocks with the IRC LST shock conversion. I like them so far, but really haven't put them through a good beatin. I also just got some Cen GST 7.7 alum option/upgrade shocks. Still buildin those and gonna try them out after I'm done with the XXLs.

I have been seeing a a lot about the big bore shocks. I currently run just the normal stock shocks. I have done some research but can't find a clear and concise answer as to what is the practical gain of big bore shocks over stock shocks.

How about some clear and concise answers?.
1)The larger diameter of the big bores allows for larger coils which in turn equals longer coils. (The wire required to make the coils ends up being longer due to the larger diameter) = improved spring compression rates. (Spring rate does not rise as quickly as it is compressed)
2) The larger diameter creates a larger piston face.
3) Interchangeable pistons.
4) Includes a diaphram to separate the air from the oil. (All shocks require some gas or air space to allow for the displacement of the rod as it enters the cylinder. Oil does not compress, instead it expands the body or blows the seals or bends the rods.)(air in oil is bad as the bubbles compress as they pass through the piston orifices) (no air space equals blown caps and seals and bent rods) All full size automotive shocks have an air space with a piston to separate oil and air or a closed cell foam insert that will compress.
5) Big bores are lighter than 8 stock shocks.
6) 4 shocks require less maintenance than 8 shocks.

Personally I run big bores and would never consider going back. There is no comparison. they are smoother, stronger, and designed much better. Most people will not like the soft recomended setup (20wt oil with Pink stock springs) as it is better suited for a groomed track but I would recommend 30wt oil with white springs for most bashers. Also upgrade the caps to aluminum as they are the weak link.

Thank you for that information. That is what I have been looking for I may add big bore shocks (aluminum) to my upgrade list.

Thank you for that information. That is what I have been looking for I may add big bore shocks (aluminum) to my upgrade list.

No problem. I'd recomend toward or at the top of your list. It is a very worthwhile upgrade if you are looking to make a better handling machine. IMO.

Flux Big Bores FTW!!

I sure do know that i wont ever be turning back to the stock 8 tiny shocks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back