better slipper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blown68ssrs

I am having problems with the slippers on my savage. Bottom out, 1/8 turn back.
They don't last a tank. It is happening to both of my savage.
Any better slippers in the market?
Thanks

I read somewhere to sand the slipper plate with a 220-paper, just to take the shinyness away, and to run it all tight.
I have no personal experience doing this though, I just got myself an octane, only relaying what I read on another forum.

Ordered some ceramic pads. Will report back.
I tried the scuff up the pressure plate with sand paper with the std clutch. It still didn't work.

I have consider Robinson as well. It will be my next option if the ceramic pads don't hold up.
DO you run hardened steel bell with your set up?
I had steel spur on mine when I bought the truck. It ended up chewing up the standard bell.

I have consider Robinson as well. It will be my next option if the ceramic pads don't hold up.
I had steel spur on mine when I bought the truck. It ended up chewing up the standard bell.
Yes, Let me say that I didn't have issues with my slipper unit. I switched BC the Robinson has bearings and I like the bearings and I used a hardened bell that would eat up the slipper so I just changed. If you are eating gears the robinson could kill your trans.

My issue is the slipper clutch disc. The ceramic pads should be here in a week. Will report back.
Cheers

Seeing as the Robinson stuff is EXTRA Hard, yes you should always use a matching bell or it will eat the bell gear in a hurry.....

Got the ceramic pad. With the single disc set up, 1/8 turn from the bottom, spur will turn but truck won't move. Going to try the dual discs set up next.

Got the ceramic pad. With the single disc set up, 1/8 turn from the bottom, spur will turn but truck won't move. Going to try the dual discs set up next.

Sounds to me as though you have a problem somewhere.... it should be fine with a new ceramic slipper pad on it.....
Missing washers or something is keeping it from tightening up correctly

I think he is referring to the RR gen 3 slipper setup.
A couple pics of what you have may be very helpful here....

The same set up was used when it had the S25 engine in it. It was working perfect until I stuck a much more powerful engine in.
The stock Savage X dual disc set up is what I am referring to.

The same set up was used when it had the S25 engine in it. It was working perfect until I stuck a much more powerful engine in.
The stock Savage X dual disc set up is what I am referring to.

The stock slipper for a Savage is a single disc slipper, uses 1 pad stuck to the gear and a couple plates for friction and a couple of washers and a nut and bushing and spring, put together in the right order and good parts it outta be about the same as before.....

That's what I had. The Savage X use a different set up with disc on both sides of the spur gear.

That's what I had. The Savage X use a different set up with disc on both sides of the spur gear.

No it doesn't. I have a savage x ss, what jam showed was what is stock.

These are the part numbers:
page 22 Savage X instructions. I just learnt that this morning.

You must have a savage x 4.1 rtr, looks like it did have a dual disc setup. I'd say it's telling though that that setup was never used again. It must have been a poor design.

This is the manual that I found on line. Page 22 is the slipper set up.
upload_2015-5-22_23-3-54.png

I would do yourself a favor and just get all the newer parts and go that way with it , too many parts to go wrong on the one you have.....

Possibly the upper shaft in the trans has to be changed out too, I bet it is longer than the newer x is....

I have 3 speed on both trucks. With the wheels off the ground, hit throttle, wheels spin. With the truck on the ground, hit throttle, spur spins but no movement.

Well to be honest, the pics ya posted are blurry and don't show me anything relating to your slipper trouble. a couple decent pics may help some....

Latest posts

Members online

Back