Best Crawler on the Market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baris41

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a crawler but i don't have any info about the crawlers. I wanna use it in extreme climbing, so i don't need it to be too fast. The aim is to buy an obstacle monster.
After some research i discovered most popular shaft driven crawlers are Capra and Night Crawler. There are also Crawler King and TRX in the picture. They all have pros and cons on each other, but as an inexperience eye they look pretty similar. At first glance Night Crawler and Capra looks more athletic than TRX and Crawler King. Considering my main usage;

Do i need to eliminate TRX and Crawler King?

TRX has 2 speed transmission, is that an advantage over others?

To upgrade and finding spare parts, does them all have sufficient options?

Would you suggest to scratch over shaft driven rc's and go for (moa) Bully II ?

Thanks all in advance.

Don't forgot about Axial SCX10 II & the new SCX10 III. If your not wanting to go the scale route, then look into comp type crawlers. Those are the ones that'll have more articulation from the research I've done lookin into crawler. MOA crawlers can offer more control and maneuverability cuz you can get a stick type radio gear (airplane/heli) and have independent front & rear drive control along with rear steering. I myself have been leaning towards building a RC4WD Trail Finder 2 from the ground up piece by piece so I can get the upgrades I want instead of buying a RTR/kit and then spending extra on upgrades. The price between building pc by pc vs RTR/kit is about the same from what I've seen so far. You can also look into crawler forums and getting info from there too. Alot of people have more than for different uses.

Thanks for your prompt response!

After watching multiple youtube videos, i decided to buy a RTR Night Crawler or Capra since i don't want to wait to run. I couldn't find pros and cons of them though, especially motor and tranny wise. Do you have any info about em?

Not into crawlers yet but plenty youtube videos and crawler forums to research on. The TRX4 is pretty good but maybe not for extreme crawling, too high cofg I think, it has portals which is the in thing, but not critical. 2 speed gears arent necessary for crawling, more for trailing, also adds weight. Really depends on where you mostly run and if you are crawling with others or want to enter competitions. There's no perfect answer. I would get a kit and fit your chosen electronics and LiPo. Your budget, which usually goes up, will dictate what you get.

According to my research, buying a scale truck make more sense. I might buy a Bully II in the future, which seems one of the best crawler out there. For now, i think TRX-4 would be a great choice for a noob like me. So if you help me choose a TRX4, i'll be really appreciated. There are five different TRX4's on Traxxas page. They all have little differences. Sport, Data G500, Defender, Blazer and Bronco.Which one is better as crawler? And whats your opinion on TRX6, should i skip TRX4 and get TRX6?

Best Sport kit. Defender body is too heavy.

TRX6 is a gimmick, but ...https://youtu.be/R79lGx8__G0

What type of scale look? Links or leafs? The TRX6 is basically a TRX4 with a second rear axle. RC4WD, Axial, G-Made would be my top 3 choice manufacturers. Redcat would be next in line.

What type of scale look? Links or leafs? The TRX6 is basically a TRX4 with a second rear axle. RC4WD, Axial, G-Made would be my top 3 choice manufacturers. Redcat would be next in line.

Whats your recommendation then? Didnt hear G-made Gom and R1 rock buggy, it looks cool though. I want a slow crawler preferably with big wheels like the Capra, but they say battery pack is really small.

Last edited:
Who makes the capra & night crawler? The RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (TF2) is leaf spring, but in stock form doesn't have great flex (articulation). There's a few free/cheap mods to add more flex. But, the RC4WD Gelande 2 is links. Haven't fully looked into it and how much flex it has. I've also been eyeballin the G-Made GS02 TA Pro chassis kit.

whats wrong with a small battery pack? Less weight and possibly easier to relocate to move cofg. Run time shouldnt be an issue and small LiPo packs are relatively cheap.

Axial Capra is a good kit. Most users tend to go for different tyres/rims than the stock supplied ones. Some tyres perform better depending on conditions.

Losi Nightcrawler is meant to be great out of the box, but has worm gears that may need attention due to greater friction.

Everyone has a preference, just make sure you can readily get spares in your region.

whats wrong with a small battery pack? Less weight and possibly easier to relocate to move cofg. Run time shouldnt be an issue and small LiPo packs are relatively cheap.

Axial Capra is a good kit. Most users tend to go for different tyres/rims than the stock supplied ones. Some tyres perform better depending on conditions.

Thanks for the reply, Do you have any idea about G-Made?

I think your best doing your own research as I don't have any crawlers and just pick up info as I go, as said plenty of forums and videos to fill up your time.

I've been watching like crazy but, it's really hard to judge by the video, maybe i should print out and compare all the technical sheets to choose one. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Well, I just ordered myself an Axial RR10 Bomber...

Right... Cancelled that order and got An Axial RBX10 Ryft 4WD BL Rock Bouncer RTR in Black in stead..

Ooooo... Final choice, Traxxas TRX-4 Land Rover Defender, in Silver RTR... lol - Ordered it and a 3s battery with a charger for the thing. Stupid propriatary stuff.. Oh well, 4000 mah is plenty for loads of fun. I do know you can simply change the plug on the truck, maybe I'll do that sometime, but for now, I want out of the box fun :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back