Been out of the saddle.. need to be brought back up to speed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, years ago I knew just about everything that had to do with savages and nitro engines. But then I went to school and got married and... you know. So for the past 3 or 4 years Dirtdawg racing has been without funding. My engine was worn out too so I couldn't even drive it for fun.

Well I'm tired of seeing my $2,500 baby sitting and collecting dust so I want to get a new engine and get back into racing.

So my question is out of the new engines that are out there, what would be a good race engine. I don't just want the fastest engine, that has a on-off type of power. I want one that is smooth throughout accelerating. I had a Mach .26 and I loved it. I'm also on a pretty strict budget, so I'm looking for something around or preferably under $150. Thanks!

Hey man welcome back! I'm sure you're going to hear alot of people say go with the picco .28. Picco is an awesome engine, I personally run an Axial .28. I'm a real fan of Axial engine mainly because I've never had any issues with them.

Have fun catching up, HPI has released alot of really nice upgrades for the savage in the last few years. Once again, welcome back

BTW- Post some pics up so we can see what your working with.

well its more then $150 but worth every penny,try one of the modded engines from "robin" at extreme rc mods he's a member here and his engines run smooth all the way through the rpms and will idle all day long if you go to his website you will soon realize i speak the truth lol!!savagesam "another member here" ran his engines and ended up winning the championship if i remember correctly so check out the website extreme rc mods.com and watch the vids,a added bonus is robins a great guy and will work with you so you get everything you want out of your engine........

I'm eyeballing your signature pic and it looks like your rocking the old Twisted Toys chassis? Hard to tell.

Thanks guys! And yes it is a twisted toys chassis, probably one of the first. I think I got it shortly after he started selling them. Its been awesome.

I will check out robin mods, maybe if not now for later, thanks! What about the K4.6 or the Mach .28? Are they very smooth through the rpms? I just remember back when I was in it there were engines that had too much torque, like the Wasps.

i think the best bang for the buck mill is the axial .28, it's the same as the k4.6 and it will only run you a little over $100. these days hpi has beefed up the savages that they can handle any mill no problem and handle brushless.

i personally like the f 4.6 alot better then the k4.6 ive never ran a mach so cant comment on that but i have ran sh engines"sh m28 3 port" and i've heard the sh 28 8 port engine is a beast and a fairly cheap engine compared to others.another engine to look at might be the LRP SPEC 3 28 there a beast as well and as was said the axial is a cheap motor which some like and some hate lol but at the moment alot of members are running the picco modded by robin lol and all i can say is I'm impressed every time i watch a vid of a truck with one of his motors!!!

The lrp is the sh motor rebranded for the budget I say that is the rout to go. Robin even has a few already done up but a bit more than your budget. I am running one of his picco's and it is insain. I have seen and driven the lrp, picco, and axial. Didn't like the axial compared to the others but compared to the dynamite motor you had they are all a step up. If you have another 25 I vote lrp

F is the same as the force motor from ofna. A little more power smother powerband and many say a little better quality than the k/ axial

pope beat me to it lol THANKS POPE!! i just swear its a better running motor alot don't even think there's a difference between them till they have tried both and as pope said it just seems to have a tad more power somehow!!!!

Thanks for the info, all good things to chew on before I go buy something. Since I haven't raced in a while I'm more concerned about the smooth powerband. I don't want to be to out of control to start with, I have never even driven a .28 because they were just coming out when I stopped racing.

Would you say that the irp has a smooth powerband? Thanks

i had a axail that just died on me i ran 12 gallons thur the motor u till the litlle sring that kep the wrist pin in was gone the it died so i am puttin a bunch of mods on it for $90 and getting her running again

PS: i am going to run the rr2 pistion and selive in the rr al padrts from axail are tranferable from the 28 r to r1 t0o rr2 and every thing except the pistion and sleve can be transfered from the .28 to .32 it is awsome

The lrp is the sh motor rebranded for the budget I say that is the rout to go. Robin even has a few already done up but a bit more than your budget. I am running one of his picco's and it is insain. I have seen and driven the lrp, picco, and axial. Didn't like the axial compared to the others but compared to the dynamite motor you had they are all a step up. If you have another 25 I vote lrp

So, an SH .28 is the same as the LRP .28 spec 3? If so, is eBay about the only place to buy them?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back