Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreeper

I just went through my savage and replaced all the bearings. Nothing special just stock replacement. Since I am gonna try to get into racing (nothing big just for fun) I want to replace all the ones in my buggy. What kinda bearing would be good for lasting and holding out the dust and dirt.

Acer ceramic bearings. Any rc kit runs for $90. Boca ceramics they run around $300. Prices vary a little not much. After installing Acer bearings you can actually feel the difference from stock too these. The bearings spin more freely feel much smoother. IN a couple weeks my rebuilt truck will be up and running. Looking forward to see how well these bearings work and for how long under what conditions. More later but those would my picks for the highest end bearing you can get.

I wasnt looking into spending that much but Ill look into them

I tried Acer pro ceramic bearings in the hubs on my Revo, (the stock ones are notoriously weak anyway), and they failed in a fraction of the time. I think part of this may be due to the small size of the outer bearings. Also the acer bearings are not sealed like a standard bearing and will therefore need cleaning much more frequently.

http://www.avidrc.com/

just type the size bearing you need and they are only a $1.00 per bearing .. Fast shipping as well

This is definately the way to go. You get the best of both worlds with these bearings, one side is sealed and the other is sheilded to cut down drag. You just fit them with the sealed side facing out.
Good work SJ, I've been l hoping to find some of these myself. They look exactley the same as the ones for the RD Racing carriers for my Revo.

avid is the best budget bearing, they last a long time and since they are cheap, you can just replace themw hen they get gritty

ive been using them for a long time defeniately an improvement over stockers

I understand OEM is best but were talking about a bearing. If i could pay $1 for a bearing purchased from avid bearings and it only lasted 1/2 the time of the OEM bearing, which I'm sure isn't true, i'd be more than happy to change it twice as often rather then paying $25 for the OEM bearing. Granted the aftermarket bearing that is the same size creates the same seal when installed. you feel me?

engine bearings best best to go with oem ones :D

Sorry but I'm not agreeing here. Some of the stock front bearings are tarable like AXIAL. I would use the Boca bearings for the front bearing.

Personally I would also remove one of the seals in it and use some thing and remove all the grease out of the bearing as the nitro fuel in the engine will provide pleanty of oil to the bearing. Doing this eliminated drag of the grease and the very little that the seal provides. Note: Leave one seal so it will seal the engine on the outside.

Sorry but I'm not agreeing here. Some of the stock front bearings are tarable like AXIAL. I would use the Boca bearings for the front bearing.

Personally I would also remove one of the seals in it and use some thing and remove all the grease out of the bearing as the nitro fuel in the engine will provide pleanty of oil to the bearing. Doing this eliminated drag of the grease and the very little that the seal provides. Note: Leave one seal so it will seal the engine on the outside.

I don't think i want to start taking apart bearings and removing grease and the like, no offense but I'm just trying to get this truck to run properly for a few tanks of gas. ill just stick with my 25 dollar OEM bearing and wish for the best, plus i don't plan on ever racing competitive i just like to bash for fun. if i ever wanted to race id sell my savage and buy a hellfire

If i were you I would just get a boca bearing and stick it in there it will last much longer and you will be much happier, even if you leave both seals in it.

After reading this thread I went to boca ceramics website, found these bad boys
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=17 (on that page you have to enter 8, 16, and 5 in that order to get the bearing I am talking about, it wount link the page directly here it is http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=15011&n=688-LL/T9/C3_LD_ZRO2
am I correct in thinking these are almost $90 per bearing? they look awesome, the ss manual says it includes 14 of these so that would be roughly 1250 for just that size bearing for 1 savage...

I have another bearing question, does anyone know where there is a list that has all the bearings needed for one savage x? I ask because the manual (at least the ssx manual) seems to be wrong. on the page where they show bearings (page 8) shows thB023 and B021 as being 5mmx10mmx4mm. just wondering how accurate the other sizes in the manual are?

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have a list on our site of all the bearings included in the Savage, but we do sell a Savage bearing kit (using Avid and Panther bearings) and thus I can list them for you a little later today. We also sell individual Avid/Panther bearings for $0.99/each at www.smfstore.com.

Some of the early Savage X manuals incorrectly list the diff side bearings as 8x16x5mm but in reality they're 10x16x5mm.

As for the bearings you questioned, HPI #B021 is 5x10x4mm for the clutch bell. #B023 is actually 6x13x5mm, they go inside the transmission.

If you go to the exploded views of the truck near the end of the manual you can pretty easily identify the bearings, but here's the list of what is included with the truck and some optional ones as well.

2 - 5x10x4mm clutch bell
5 - 6x13x5mm transmission
14 - 8x16x5mm pinion gears, axles, transmission
4 - 10x16x5mm diff outdrives

Optional:
4 - 6x10x3mm steering (Savages come with bushings, but bearings are a HIGHLY-recommended upgrade)
1 - 5x11x4mm to replace spur gear bushing

<begin shameless plug>The bearing kit we sell in the SMF Store includes all of the above plus two extra clutch bell bearings for a total of 32 bearings for $29.99.</plug> :)

After reading this thread I went to boca ceramics website, found these bad boys
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=17 (on that page you have to enter 8, 16, and 5 in that order to get the bearing I am talking about, it wount link the page directly here it is http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=15011&n=688-LL/T9/C3_LD_ZRO2
am I correct in thinking these are almost $90 per bearing? they look awesome, the ss manual says it includes 14 of these so that would be roughly 1250 for just that size bearing for 1 savage...

Gee thats what it looks like that they are $90 per bearing however I cant believe that. I do get Boca bearings from my LHS for about $2 each but they arn't ceramic.

Gee thats what it looks like that they are $90 per bearing however I cant believe that. I do get Boca bearings from my LHS for about $2 each but they arn't ceramic.

The bearings you were looking at are ALL ceramic. Normally when people talk about ceramic bearings, they are refering to hybrid bearings that just have ceramic balls. The ALL ceramic ones have the inner and outer race made from ceramic as well as the balls. Very expensive !

HopIt you are correct. I guess I didn't think about that. I was kind of in sticker shock. LOL or maybe just plain dumb as it was 8AM yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I had sticker shock too, Thinking about it, i guess it has to be hard to make a full ceramic bearing, it would be nice to be able to afford a set. :)

I could be convinced to review them pretty easily :Xfingers:

They do have a package oon the boca site for the savage x for $101, their not cerimac. they ought to be good for that price.

Thats really not to bad of a price if everything is included. I think there is like close to 32 bearings on the saveage so thats really only about $3 each.

Has anyone replaced the bronze bushing in the clutch bell with a bearing? Anyone know what size it is?

Savage bearing Kits http://www.fasteddybearings.com/search.php?search_query=savage&x=0&y=0

Some truths about bearings in your savage.
Most of you are running in dirt and high contamination conditions.

The best overall bearings for you will be a rubber sealed bearing with chrome balls. This combination will give you the best overall performance and longevity. The rubber seals will help protect your bearings and the chrome balls will last much longer in these conditions then other balls including ceramic.

Ceramic bearing will offer less rolling resistance but can damage MUCH faster then a chrome ball. They are super round and very hard. Once contamination enters the cage the ceramic bearing will no longer offer the superior rolling abilities you paid for. Also the contamination in the cage will start to chip away at the ceramic balls and they will crack. Once this happens the bearing will lock up or become crunchy.. If your racing and need to get 1/10th of a second increase in lap times then these may be the answer but you will need to maintain them after every race.

www.FastEddyBearing.com specializes in RC bearing kits. We know what bearing configurations to use for each RC resulting in a great kit that is affordable. www.FastEddyBearings.com is also a sponsor of this site and visits here regularly to help out and answer your questions.

Here is a list of the Savage Bearing Kits we offer. They are ALL IN STOCK and ship out the SAME DAY YOU ORDER.
http://www.fasteddybearings.com/search.php?search_query=savage&x=0&y=0

-Ed

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back