Bearing Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J'villeSavage

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster of this forum. You guys seem to know your stuff when it comes to the Savage. I have a Savage 25 which I have upgraded somewhat and oftentimes rely on the information contained in this forum to make more informed decisions.

I have been looking into doing some bearing upgrades and have seen some of the bad opinions on the Fullforce RC bearings, which is good because I didn't let the guy sell me more than the steering set for $5, so I figure if it sucks so be it. But I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the Acer ceramic bearings, link below, they are quite pricey but I have been led to believe that ceramic is the way to go, as far as maintenance, performance, longevity, etc.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and I look forward to your responses.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPYS8&P=ML

Wow, I'm sure they would be top of the line as Ceramics are awesome but man expensive for a savage IMO. Just figure out what sizes ya need and hit up www.smfstore.com and purchase them individually or get there kit for much much less and get good bearings as well they will not have to touch for a long time.

By the way Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the quick reply! The SMF's are in the same price range as the Full ForceRC set so that's great and a heck of a lot cheaper. I guess one further question would be that I noticed they also are rubber sealed when compared to Full Force so I was wondering what makes these better or I guess what makes the Full Force ones so bad as no one seems to recommend them.

I'm glad to have found you guys. I've had my Savage for a while now and am really starting to get a better feel for RC as this was my first purchase.

Take care.

Rubber sealed bearings are great for the R/C application as they will hold out the Debee better. I do recommend going with Metal shielded Bearings for your CB just because of the excess heat they will take.

The SMF Bearings are all Avid Bearings to my knowledge which are a very good quality bearing. The Full force bearings may be a very low quality. I have never used the Full Force kits but Have used lots of the SMF bearings with all good luck.

Cool, thanks again! I will let you know about the Fullforce RC ones I got for the steering upgrade but I figure for that application I'm in good shape. I went back to that Acer Racing site, www.acerracing.com, and noticed that they do offer two levels below the $90 ceramic option, a dual super polymide sealed for $49.99 and Telfasonic Dual PTFE Sealed for $29.99 but they don't offer a kit for the Savage. Maybe the ceramics would be a good buy individually for the CB and Diffs at $8 each.

Rubber sealed bearings are great for the R/C application as they will hold out the Debee better. I do recommend going with Metal shielded Bearings for your CB just because of the excess heat they will take.

The SMF Bearings are all Avid Bearings to my knowledge which are a very good quality bearing. The Full force bearings may be a very low quality. I have never used the Full Force kits but Have used lots of the SMF bearings with all good luck.

+1 Larz, thats good advice right there.

Mike, all of Larsen's advice is good. I using some Acer bearings, but only for the clutch bell. So far, they have held up good and have been used on 3 different motors for almost 2 yrs. now. And they also don't have any kind of play or look worn out in any way. I'd say go with the Avid or SMF set which would be your best bet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back