Beadlocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-SaVaGe X-

When i need to buy new wheels and tires Which will be probaly pretty soon, Which beadlocks work the best? and will all of them fit on the big joe tires? because i have already pretty much made my mind up that I'm going to get the big joes but i dunno what beadlock to get. i bash only and i usually drive on gravel,dirt or grass.

letme know your expierences and which ones you liked.

axial has a nice set and so does proline. they both cost about the same. what size is ur hub because axial is 17mm and proline are 23mm

I'm running the Axial bead locks. Their a good wheel hold up well. But i would like to give you a warning. They add ALOT of weight. So be aware that they are gonna add more wear and tear to your truck. Just my two cents take it fot what it worth

sirow- my hub is 17mm but i can always get the adapters so the hub size isnt a problem.

X25-i no this is a newbie question but what kinda wear and tear? will i have to buy beefier parts so that i can the axial beadlocks?

It all depends on how hard you bash. If you are a hard basher i would talk to JT about doing a CEN diff mod also look in to a high torque steering servo with metal gears and i mean a top of the line servo not a cheap knock off or you will go through them. also make sure you get your end points set right for the servo and make sure that you servo saver is set up right and works. this is just what i think due to past experances with mine. If i was you i would look into a lighter tire then the big joes IMO

Thank you crash if their is any weak point that i missed its cause i have not broke it yet but in the case that i missed it please feel free to bring it up.

oops i forgot that with that heavy of a combo you will want to change you gearing so that you have more low end power to get the big wheels/tires moving eaiser.

proline bead locks are still 40series!! But maximizer are a stock size beadlock that wont add as much weight and stress to the drivetrain. They run a stock size tire NOT the 40 series just so that you know that hate to see you waste the money not trying to make you think that I'm an a$$ or think your dumb.

I'm running the Proline commando beadlocks w/ moab tires. There is a weight difference between the two wheel/tire combos. I was also thinking about switching over to the axial beadlocks but then I would also have to switch to 17mm hubs. But I decided I'm just gonna stick with the prolines, cuz they're gonna look better with my truck once it's done. I also found and bought other wheel/tire combo that have a 23mm hub. That way I have a choice on which ones I wanna run with.

proline bead locks are still 40series!! But maximizer are a stock size beadlock that wont add as much weight and stress to the drivetrain. They run a stock size tire NOT the 40 series just so that you know that hate to see you waste the money not trying to make you think that I'm an a$$ or think your dumb.

i no that the prolines are 40 series and i no ur not an A$$ i no that ur jus tryin to help a newb and thax a lot for the help. but i would like to get some 40 series rims and tires because they look sweet and they will help stop me from flippin my truck all the time when i turn.(i just gotta slow down tho)

If you get the mazimizers you can order them with a 1/2" offset which will give you the wider wheelbase with a stock size tire. That will help keep you from rolling

Did not know that x25, you just learned me. I can't decide on which tire I want, the zombie or hpi dirtclaws. But I also like the wabash black spokes with mashers!!!!

I wish i could help you their but i have not been able to choose which tire i want to run either. I know that FX is getting ready to run that setup and i think that their are a few members that allready run it so you should ask around . I am glade that i could be of some help to you . if you have anymore questions then just ask and we will all do our best to help you.

ok then i will probably go with the maximizers but now which tires should i get?? i run on gravel,dirt,sand,grass and somtimes on the road. but i am mostly on grass and gravel.

Don't do it (the dirt bonz that is). I run that combo with the rage rings (newer maximizers have spacers) and if i stuff up a landing bad it pulls the bead of the tyre out. My advise is to get a tyre with a thicker sidewall/bead so there is more for the rim to grab. the maximizers are a good rim though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I don't have much experience with anything but the dirtbonz on the savage. My suggestion would be to check out the maximizer site and see if they recommend anything. and if you do go the dirt bonz make sure you carry one of those little electric screw drivers to reseat your tyres fast.

it says on their site that the dirt bonz need ring shims. what does that mean?? and also does anyone have any expirence with the hpi nubz???

The new maximizers come with ring shims. The dirt bonz are light weight tyres with a thin bead. the ring shims space out the outer rings more so they clamp the tyres better. They may well work better then the rage rings (the old solution) which i have.

Sometimes I think a bit of extra weight in the wheels is not a bad thing. It can give you stability because it compensates for what's up top, also as mentioned earlier it can help keep the front end down. I have always run Pro-line commandos with Big Joes and found them very good. The only thing I didn't like about the Commandos was the screws. They're very cheap, they rust easily because the chrome falls off, and they use a very small hex wrench which makes it easy to strip out the screw head. With the ones I have, I replaced the screws with some quality aluminium alloy ones. They are more than strong enough for the job and they also cut the weight down alot. You just need a 3/32 hex wrench, which is much easier on your fingers, trust me ! Also Big Joes have a lower profile than some of the other 40 series tyres and rienforced side walls, which makes them better for hard cornering, reduces ballooning etc. That's just my opinion.......... Oh, and did I mention, I also have a brand new set of wheels + tyres for sale complete with upgrade screws !! :blah:

If you're going with the Maximizers get the Losi Zombie Maxx tires. They run great on the Grass & in the dirt. I'm not sure about Gravel though.
Another Alternative would be the 40 Series Dirt Hawgs or Mulchers on either Axial or the Pro-Line Beadlocks. These are both Considerably lighter than the Moab or the Big Joe tires.
Moabs = 375g Big Joes = 270g Dirt Hawgs = 260g Mulchers = 170g
I still can't believe how heavy those Moabs are!

A bit off subject but, I just ordered a set of Maximizer bead locks (should be here Friday), but I'm going to use the stock tires. I'm thinking of using nail polish remover to get them off the stock wheels, but I don't know if that will work. Whats the best way to about getting the stock tires off the stock wheels? :dunno:

It depends on what glue was used. It's most likely tire C.A

If you don't care for the rims, you can boil them for about 10-15 mins and pull the tires free as much as you can without ripping the bead.

Grab some cloth gardenning gloves to handdle the hot tires.

Before boilling, drill holes in the inner rims hub so the hot water can enter the inside of the tire. This helps get the tire heated evenly

You can also bake them at 225 degrees and do the same.

These processes can cloud or dis figure the rims appearance to look like sh!t.
Consider the rims toast.

Fingernail polish remover is basically paint thinner.
I would use the polish remover on the tough spots of the tires bead after you tried the bake or boil methods.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the help Doobee, I was hoping I wouldn't have to destroy the rims, but whatever I think they're ugly anyways. Savage X if your still looking for tires that run well on grass and gravel, your best bet is probably something like a stock t-maxx tire. I've used the t-maxx tires on both surfaces and they grip really well. I think a Zombie max would be good on grass, but not so much on gravel (I'm assuming this based on the ways the read looks, so i might be wrong). Thats my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online

Back