Beach Bashing in the OBX.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coconutsport

I'm planning to take the old Savage 25 (almost stock) out to the Outer Banks of North Carolina this weekend for some sand dune bashing and jumps. I've yet to do this in nice fluffy sand, and the local hobby shop owner says he does it all the time. But I was wondering what I should do to my truck to prepare it for this kind of environment? I'm thinkin' not much since I run it in what may be worse conditions in the area of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. My main concern would probably be from the sand getting into things and grinding them down. Any tips or suggestions?

First off I would make sure you have a metal spurr gear as the sand will chew up plastic ones fast. Then you want to take wd40 to all your drive cups dogbones and axles before you go bashing. Make sure your airfilter is ziptied very well. Also its a good idea to run a fuel filter if you don't already.
Also watch your temp in the soft sand as it can overheat your engine very fast if your not carefull.

After you get done take a water hose and wash your truck off as the salt in the sand wont just blow off and will start to rust by the time you get home (note I don't know how watertight your truck is so you might want to take out the reciever and battery before you do this). After you wash the truck take the wd40 out again and spray all your drive cups dogbones axles and bearings.
Running on the beach is very fun but takes alot more maintenance.

PS. don't drive in the surf unless you are goin to do a full teardown right after your bashing session.

Hope this helps

i say make sure you got your air filter tube zip tied nice and tight on both ends & let'ter rip.

I just brought mine back last weekend from port aransas here in Texas. I bashed all day. The blow sand gets in every crack! I did what was noted above high compresses air and a paint brush,to knock off some sand. Washed the arms off and coated it all in wd40. And blew it off again. The cleaning sucked but was well worth it watching the 5.9 bb spin those sand paddles climbing the dunes and getting massive air and soft landings. hpisfflash

Latest posts

Members online

Back