BB's: Post your HPI Big Bore set-up's here (Piston/oils/Pre-load clip's)!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Well I received my BB's today. Just looking for some set up's.

So lets use this thread and list the set-ups you run weather it's 30wt. oil and 16T Pistons or whatever. Post them here for others reference. Also, if you could include a brief statement of your thought on your set up weather its plush or hard and if it's for racing or bashing.

I appreciate your help and am sure many others will to.

NOTE: See these threads for other information and pictures.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6992

Last edited by a moderator:
i installed the 1.6's with 30 wgt oil all the way around. since the install, the snow & weather hasn't allowed me to run it enough to give much feedback, but i will update after i give her a good bashin'

Well I went a head and filled them with with 30wt Silicon shock oil and using the Original 1.5 x 4 pistons. To me this is just about perfect as I like a plush ride instead of hard. They will bottom out a tad easier this way but it doesn't matter what you do they will bottom out when doing decent jumps, which is why the suspension is designed to be able to sit on the skid plates when pushed down. I will let you know how I like it when it worms up out side and I can get some run time with it.

FYI: The front and rear seem to site about the same and have equal tension.

EDIT: Also, i'm running on each corner 1 large Pre-Load clip and 1 small Pre-load clip.

i have the stock 1.5 x 4 hole (stock white) piston with 30 wt
-edit- stock pre loads as well 1-large 1-mid and 1-small

i ran them for the first time 2 weeks ago on some jumps, other than that all they've seen is some parking lot running.

jumps - plush ride not bouncey at all. stock shocks seem bouncier to me
on road - seemed planted better than stock with alot less rollovers

these runs were with 40 series proline bowties (low profile)

i hope to try some differant piston setups once i get the truck setup right... so far i am an satisfied big bore customer!:10:

well am running the stock 4 hole with 40 wt they felt good with no spacer but after taken it out 4 a ride i notice that it was 2 soft so i put the 2 big shim-es and the small 1 back into them the 1 that r on them win u buy it seems 2 help. going 2 the track Friday i will let u know how they fill

I'm running the the 1.6 with 40wt. A bit stiff, gonna drop to 30. The stock whites were just to soft for my style with 40wt.

I have also used the stock piston and used 25 wt to start off but it was to soft and switched to 30 i also have the big clip and the one thats a quarter the size that is the lowest setting without inserting fuel tubing. Also I can not find replacement parts for the kit anywhere does anyone know where to find parts?

big bore set up update:

been breakin in a new mill (runnin mostly on asphalt) and took some pretty hefty jumps at the bmx track & on the soccer field.

I'm really liking how the 1.6's perform with 30 weight.

big bore set up update:

been breakin in a new mill (runnin mostly on asphalt) and took some pretty hefty jumps at the bmx track & on the soccer field.

I'm really liking how the 1.6t's perform with 30 weight.

Which way are you running the tapper.. I have heard that peeps have been running them up and down,that would change how they compress and rebound..:resp:

I started with the stock shims and pistons and the recommended 20wt on my first truck. Articulation and handling are excelent but probably a bit soft for most bashers and near perfect for a groomed track. The second truck (my sons) I am running 30wt with stock pistons and shims but upgraded with stiffer (white) springs. Articulation is still very good but is a much better jumper. I am upgrading both trucks to this setup as it makes a very good all around setup. Both are light years ahead of the stock shocks.

How many ounces of oil is needed to fill all four shocks?

And what about the taper direction?

Taper direction depends on alot of things.

My set up 1.6 w/ 30wt oil. Pink springs in the back and silver in the fronts.

I had blue in the front but didn't like it to soft switched to silver I think I am going to end up with softer shocks in the back than the front when all is said and done for jumping.

Just set up my new big bores last night with 1.4 and 30wt with stock springs and large clips on all 4. Will be another week till I can finish the build and try them out.

Taper direction depends on alot of things.

My set up 1.6 w/ 30wt oil. Pink springs in the back and silver in the fronts.

I had blue in the front but didn't like it to soft switched to silver I think I am going to end up with softer shocks in the back than the front when all is said and done for jumping.

large side of the taper goes down, right?

Depends on what your trying to acheive.
Check out Alex's supsension thread

The piston is what is put on the top of the shock shaft inside the shock body to restrict the flow of oil from one side to the other creating the dampaning of the shock.

Pistons can be altered in many ways. The number of holes in a piston, The size of the holes, and the taper and direction of that taper.

The larger the hole the less force is needed to compress or decompress the shock because the oil can travel more freely though them. This results in a softer suspension.

Tapered holes is where it gets a little more complacated. A tapered hole piston has a hole that is shaped like a cone not a straight tube. The reason to use a tapered piston is simple. It makes a shock act two diffrent ways; one way when being compressed and another when being decompressed.

If the wider part of the taper is faced up than the shock will compress with less force than it takes to decompress. This alows for a shock that will absorb the bumps in a track quickly than decompress slower to keep the truck from bouncing back.

If the wider part is faced down than the shock will compress with more force than it takes to decompress. This alows for the shock to decompress faster after being compressed to return the truck to ride hight much faster.

1.6T piston thingy, 35w oil, stock pink springs, 1-large 1-medium & 1-small spacer all the way around, stock 90mm shafts.

To me i think there to soft, 4 stock shocks seem stiffer then this set up with the same oil.

Any suggestions for a stiffer set up ?

has anyone tried the stiffer springs, am running the pink at mo, will a stiffer spring make it roll over in the corners

Latest posts

Members online

Back