battery lead lenght does it matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

Battery lead length does it matter?

Well I mid tanked my savage and ran the battery behind the rear tower and the radio box upfront behind the front tire mounted on the tvp, now this said am I looseing servo/battery performance due to the distance between the sevo/battery/rx? Mind you that I am runing a servo lead extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the Lead for cracks,if that's not the Problem it could be length. What battery are you using?I've seen this before and the lenght and a weak battery was the problem.

with electric flow the idealist wire would be big enough for electrons to flow easly and a medium length for best performance to short would lead to a short to say and to long will kinda defeat the purose of your application you could loose a little power but not much and short say lets put this in scientific terms

The movement of electricity through a circuit is described by Ohm's Law, which relates the voltage (measured in Volts) to the current (measured in Amperes) and to the resistance (measured in Ohms). A current is carried through a circuit by wires. Wires are made out of materials that allow electricity to flow through them (called conductive materials) and are most often made out of copper. Also, for safety purposes wires are usually coated with an insulator. This material keeps the electricity from moving out of the wire, which can lead to a short circuit (if it touches another wire) or electric shock (if it touches you)!

There are many different types of wires for carrying different amounts of electricity through a circuit. Some wires that transmit signals from switches or sensors carry very little current. Those that provide power to large electric motors carry lots of current. If too much current goes through a wire it can overheat and melt, causing a short circuit or a fire. This can be very dangerous! So it is very important to match the wires in a circuit with the amount of electricity they need to carry. The amount of current that a wire can handle depends on its length, composition, size and how it is bundled. How do these properties affects the wire's current-carrying capacity? (Nice, 2005):

* Length - Each type of wire has a certain amount of resistance per foot—the longer the wire, the larger the resistance. If the resistance is too high, a lot of the power that flows down the wire will be wasted; the energy lost as heat builds up in the wire. Ultimately, heat build-up limits the current-carrying capacity of the wire, as the temperature must not get hot enough to melt the insulation.
* Composition - Automotive wire is usually composed of fine copper strands. Generally, the finer the strands, the lower the resistance and the more current the wire can carry. The type of copper used has an effect on the resistance of the wire, too.
* Wire gauge - The wire gauge, or size of the wire, also determines how much resistance the wire has. The larger the wire, the less resistance. The smaller the gauge, the larger the wire—so a 16-gauge wire is bigger than a 24-gauge wire. Wire gauges go all the way down to zero, which is also called 1/0 (one aught). Even bigger than 1/0 is 00 (2/0, or two aught), and so on. The diameter of a 4/0 (four aught) wire is almost half an inch (1.27 cm).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back