Basket case Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

Last weekend I was browsing through some FS ads and came across an old Savage 25 that was listed pretty cheap and I couldn't resist! I had plans of going as cheap as possible to get it running but the thought of buying a used nitro engine brought back bad memories. At this point I could have bought a new RTR 4.6 for less than I have spend already, I love this hobby! The truck won't be here until Monday, it's coming USPS so thats a maybe. And since it's against the laws of RC to start a build thread without pics.....

Last edited:
Keep the thread updated! LRP is always a good start to any build.

Good engine. Have fun

The truck showed up today and it was mostly what I expected, what I didn't expect and wasn't told is that the wheels hex's are rounded on two of the four wheels! The Mashers look new and I hope I can get them unglued without tearing them. It has massive wideners on it but one of them is bent (also not expected), bad wheel bearings and the diffs feel like they have gravel in them but I knew I would be replacing them. Enough BS here are some pics!

This mofo is 21 inches wide!

The body also showed up today!

6.6v life pack for the receiver should have enough juice for the servos...I hope

Haven't had a decent radio in years so I picked up a lower end Spektrum, not bad for $100.00

Last edited:
I move things around in my photobucket and it killed the link. Woodie, how do i edit my post?

I guess the edit option disappears after a while?

Click on the edit button:

igOTgE6.png

Woodie I think your messing with me, that EDIT button wasn't there earlier!

Over the weekend I went through everything on the truck and was surprised to find that it is in better condition than I thought, a few minor fixes and it's ready to go. Cleaned up the diffs with new gears and shims, the plastic cups might be a problem later but I have new aluminum cup diffs in the box for when that happens. The shocks were over filled and wouldn't fully compress, I removed a little oil and they are nice and smooth with no leaks. The tranny looked good and hopefully it will shift once it's running. Still waiting on a few things to show up before I can get it running.

Not what you want your diffs to look like!

Yesterday I removed the Mashers from the wheels....3 out of 4 came off perfect. On the last one I got in a rush and wasn't paying attention, also should have let it cool down a bit more.

Last edited:
Replace the plastic diff covers with the aluminum now! Don't wait, you will regret it.

Replace the plastic diff covers with the aluminum now! Don't wait, you will regret it.

The voices in my head were telling me that as I put it back together but I didn't listen, it will just give me a reason to work on it again later lol.

The truck is back together with the engine mounted and ready to go! I'm still waiting on tires/wheels, a couple of right hand thread axles, new brake pads, and the exhaust mount, all should be here by Thursday.

Once it was all back together I was looking at it and decided it needed to be a little bit lower. I pulled the shocks apart and added a short piece of fuel line under the pistons so the shocks wouldn't fully expand. The header I'm using has a wide bend for a truggy and wouldn't fit with the two shock setup, because it has the firm black springs and I just kept them slightly compressed I'm going to try to run with only four of them, from what I can tell the lower arms will sit level with all of the weight on it. If it doesn't work out i'll have to use a Savage header and go back to 8 shocks. Masking the body will start tomorrow!

If those are the stock shocks, then don't be surprised when your truck has issues when jumping or general bashing. Those stock shocks are barely good enough with 8. You could try 4 of HPI's big bores though. Still small shocks and can take abuse.

I was afraid of that, I'll have to use it until I order a new header.

I finally decided on a paint scheme and actually got started on it! My painting skillz suck so I had to keep it simple although letters have proven to be anything but simple.

The inspiration

Killer looking truck but X is right, those shocks wont last one run if you're umping and rolling it.
You have to use 8. You can salvage that tire, just super glue a piece of rubber in there to seal it up after you get it on the rim

That truck is going to be awesome, that lrp has tons of power and its really easy to tune if ya use the right pipe.

The last LRP I had I ran a Werks pipe on it and the tune was very easy and stable. Unfortunately my funds for this rig are running short so I'm going to try a JP2 pipe that I already have with a stock header.

I scored a stock Savage pipe and header set off of eBay so it's finally complete! I'll start the break in later today.

The body ended up being something between brown and burgundy. Once I saw that I screwed up the color I rushed through the next coat of black and now it has spotches everywhere...I have no patients for painting!

uhh...I hate to tell you this man but that pipe is not good for that engine...I actually used the same pipe when I got my LRP at first and it was a disaster...wouldn't hold a tune at all. You're probably going to want to change that pipe, there's a reason its so cheap lol

I have another pipe but this was already together and ready to use, I'll see how it goes. I started it up for the first time, I had to lean it a little from factory settings but it ran great so far. Letting it cool down but I'll get a few more short runs it before the day is done.

The battery in my camera is dead so it's another phone video. It needs more tuning but it has a little power, I'm going to install the JP-2 pipe on tomorrow and see how it feels. If those maxx tires had any traction it wouldn't stay on it's wheels.

Certainly doesn't have a lack of power that's for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back